Seeking advice on upgrading my unRaid server

dchamb

I currently have an 3rd gen Intel based system with 4 cores and no hyperthreading. Running Plex along with a couple of other Docker apps with >50TB of data using 2 parity drives. 

Transcoding is the greatest need. So I am looking for an 8 core CPU with 32GB RAM, and a motherboard to support 8 SATA III drives. Also looking to use a 2TB M.2 NVMe for cache. 

Questions: which CPU brand is better for the application Intel or AMD? 

Any motherboard recommendations (I've always been an Asus fan but willing to consider others)?

Also I want to be able to use unRaid version 6.9.2. I've been stuck on 6.8.3 because I cannot run 6.9.2 on my current configuration. 

Thanks!

Dale

Edited by dchamb
Omission about OS version

You got a few options, for transcoding though Intel with QSV i the way to go. You don't need anything fancy, a used 10th gen system will give you a modern version of QSV, for example in my desktop I've got an i3-10100 and according to cpubenchmark.net it scores about double your CPU even though it's a low end chip. I've used that system to transcode stuff temporarily.

You can, of course, go brand new, again Intel is your best option, just get whatever is cheap as long as it's got an i3 or better you'll be fine. Just don't buy any F-series Intel CPUs as those don't come with an iGPU at all. Also, there's the DDR4 vs DDR5 debate, even the latest intel platforms support DDR4 as long as you pick a motherboard that's DDR4 not DDR5... and DDR4 is the way to go. DDR5 is NOT worth the massive price difference.

Only thing is your number of SATA ports wanted will limit your motherboard choices, whether you go used or new. You may simply want to pick up an LSI HBA card in IT mode off eBay and connect your drives to that. A decent 8-port card can be had for about $150, but after the cost savings of a cheaper motherboard the end price difference in your overall build won't be much. Just be sure you have a fan directly on or blowing on the HBA as most of them get HOT and expect to be living in servers with tons of airflow, while even a gaming type PC case with lots of cooling will not be enough for long-term stability.

Another option is to keep your existing system and add a GPU for transcoding, although I don't believe that Docker supports anything except Intel QSV for transcoding, so your best bet would be moving your Plex server to a Windows 10 VM, if you decide to go this route.

In the end, throw your old mobo, CPU, RAM combo on eBay you'll still get some money back for it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shovenose said:

You got a few options, for transcoding though Intel with QSV i the way to go. You don't need anything fancy, a used 10th gen system will give you a modern version of QSV, for example in my desktop I've got an i3-10100 and according to cpubenchmark.net it scores about double your CPU even though it's a low end chip. I've used that system to transcode stuff temporarily.

You can, of course, go brand new, again Intel is your best option, just get whatever is cheap as long as it's got an i3 or better you'll be fine. Just don't buy any F-series Intel CPUs as those don't come with an iGPU at all. Also, there's the DDR4 vs DDR5 debate, even the latest intel platforms support DDR4 as long as you pick a motherboard that's DDR4 not DDR5... and DDR4 is the way to go. DDR5 is NOT worth the massive price difference.

Only thing is your number of SATA ports wanted will limit your motherboard choices, whether you go used or new. You may simply want to pick up an LSI HBA card in IT mode off eBay and connect your drives to that. A decent 8-port card can be had for about $150, but after the cost savings of a cheaper motherboard the end price difference in your overall build won't be much. Just be sure you have a fan directly on or blowing on the HBA as most of them get HOT and expect to be living in servers with tons of airflow, while even a gaming type PC case with lots of cooling will not be enough for long-term stability.

Another option is to keep your existing system and add a GPU for transcoding, although I don't believe that Docker supports anything except Intel QSV for transcoding, so your best bet would be moving your Plex server to a Windows 10 VM, if you decide to go this route.

In the end, throw your old mobo, CPU, RAM combo on eBay you'll still get some money back for it. 

Do you think an HBA board is more/less/same performance as on board Sata ports? 

And can you comment on the existing problems with i915 drivers crashing unRaid 6.9.2?

7 hours ago, dchamb said:

Do you think an HBA board is more/less/same performance as on board Sata ports? 

And can you comment on the existing problems with i915 drivers crashing unRaid 6.9.2?

There should be no difference in performance with a SATA III HBA when compared to onboard SATA III ports as long as everything is working the way it's supposed to. Most of these enterprise grade cards use a PCI-E X8 bus which has more than enough bandwidth for 8-16 mechanical hard drives.

And unfortunately, I can't comment on that other concern, I have never had any stability issues with Unraid 6.9.2 and I've only ever run it on Intel systems.