How do I check and ensure server not accessible over internet

smush

I've seen several posts when browsing best practises for Unraid mentioning that It is a good idea not to have Unraid accessible over the internet. I was wondering how to do this? I downloaded nmap and scanned the IP of my local Unraid server and it says 80 and 443 are open but when I go into my router's settings and block them, doing a re-scan still shows 80 and 443 open?

10 minutes ago, smush said:

I've seen several posts when browsing best practises for Unraid mentioning that It is a good idea not to have Unraid accessible over the internet. I was wondering how to do this? I downloaded nmap and scanned the IP of my local Unraid server and it says 80 and 443 are open but when I go into my router's settings and block them, doing a re-scan still shows 80 and 443 open?

By default as long as you do not put Unraid into your routers DMZ it will automatically block access from the internet.

the problem comes when users WANT to have Unraid accessible from the internet and open up ports on their router without securing the connection with a VPN (e.g. WireGuard) or an equivalent.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

By default as long as you do not put Unraid into your routers DMZ it will automatically block access from the internet.

the problem comes when users WANT to have Unraid accessible from the internet and open up ports on their router without securing the connection with a VPN (e.g. WireGuard) or an equivalent.

What about plugins/docker like Plex are any of these able to put my server on the internet? And would you happen to know why nmap shows HTTP and HTTPS ports being open when scanning the IP of my local server despite having blocked them on my router?

4 minutes ago, smush said:

And would you happen to know why nmap shows HTTP and HTTPS ports being open when scanning the IP of my local server despite having blocked them on my router?

Those ports WILL be open on the Local LAN as otherwise Unraid cannot operate properly.    Are you saying that they show as open when you scan from the internet?   If so they are not being blocked by your router

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Those ports WILL be open on the Local LAN as otherwise Unraid cannot operate properly.    Are you saying that they show as open when you scan from the internet?   If so they are not being blocked by your router

I can access my Plex content remotely as have done this. I scan my unraid server from my desktop all on the same network using the internal IP. How do I do it over the internet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 6:15 PM, smush said:

I can access my Plex content remotely as have done this. I scan my unraid server from my desktop all on the same network using the internal IP. How do I do it over the internet?

First, you'll want to find out your IP Address that's accessible remotely. To do that go to https://ifconfig.me and take note of that address.

Then you can run nmap by executing nmap -p 80,443 {ip address}.

And if you want to be really sure what it looks like from the outside, you can make a hotspot with your phone and connect to it with your PC, with your phone connected to the mobile network, not WiFi. Then run the above

• Like 1