Impressed after 10 days, may I ask three questions before jumping in.

Go to solution Solved by SpencerJ,

Hello,

After spending years in the free ESX with the 8vCPU limitations, I thought I'd try your software on my z800 dual x5690, 96GB RAM aging beast.  I was testing her with :

500GB SATA - Cache

2TB Seagate SAS - Parity

2TB Seagate SAS - Data

1TB Seagate SATA - Data

1TB Seagate SATA - Data

1.5TB Seagate SATA - Data (Failed SMART test, which I knew anyway but was testing nonetheless)

Now, I copied across 800GB of unimportant data that I have plenty of backups of still running on my QNAP and ESX machine,  I ordered a few 8TB drives and have successfully migrated the Parity, and then 12 hours later the Data drive with all data intact so yeh, very happy with the process and ability of the core system.  The dockers are simple enough to grasp, and the VM's although not VMWare, still work fine for my purpose, so more drives are on the way :)

My Questions are:

1.  I bought a 32GB Samsung Bar for this system.  Do they have a GUID issue? (https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/usb-flash-drive/usb-3-0-flash-drive-bar-modern-metal-muf-32ba-apc/

2.  IF the old beast dies, can I just lift and shift the drives and USB and continue happily on a newer system?

3.  Are there ANY functionality limitations in the pricing tiers apart from the hard drive limits?

I know I have another 20 days to test point two, but I'd rather spend the rest of my time setting up the machine to how I intend to use it.

Thanks for your time,

DarthKegRaider.

• Solution

Hey @DarthKegRaider,

Thanks for trying us out!

6 hours ago, DarthKegRaider said:

1.  I bought a 32GB Samsung Bar for this system.  Do they have a GUID issue? (https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/usb-flash-drive/usb-3-0-flash-drive-bar-modern-metal-muf-32ba-apc/

I personally have never seen any GUID issues with Samsung USBs.

2.  IF the old beast dies, can I just lift and shift the drives and USB and continue happily on a newer system?

Yes, you can do this. Easily upgrading to new hardware is a key feature that we strive to maintain.

3.  Are there ANY functionality limitations in the pricing tiers apart from the hard drive limits?

No. The same functionality exists across each tier other than HD limits. Your trial license acts exactly like a Pro license save for the internet connection requirement which goes away with a license purchase.

Have a nice day!

Thanks @SpencerJ,

Your fast response was very much appreciated.  Regardless of my trial time remaining, I just purchased the Pro license.  Not that I think I'll ever need an NAS solution that large, it was more as a 'thanks' to the devs for this very simple, yet powerful NAS/Hypervisor interface.  But who knows, my young kids might grow up to be YouTubers and may potentially need many Terabytes of storage!

Kind regards,

DarthKegRaider

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As for the Can I swap out hardware. 

I'm on my 3rd Motherboard, 3rd processor, different RAM speeds/types and countless drives later after upgrading or simply loosing a drive because of hardware failure. 

I'm still using my 2Gig Cruzer drive that I installed unraid on 9years ago. Or maybe its 10 I don't really remember. Lol Oh yeah I'm still using the same Case too. ;)

• Like 2