Disk Errors not corrected with Parity Check

Go to solution Solved by SergeantCC4,

I appear to be having an issue I just noticed recently. I was out of town for business for two months and came back to discover that my disk2 (sdr) had 1024 errors that occured 1 second after a parity check started.

The parity check completed without incident, the disk is not marked as failed currently, and I checked the S.M.A.R.T. data and there don't appear to be errors. I've attached a clipping from my syslog from when that happened (diskerrors.txt), as well as the diagnostics. Any guidance for this matter would be appreciated. 

The drive in question is a WD60EZAZ which is an SMR drive. I know people in the past has said that they're OK to use so if it's just a known issue and nothing to worry about that would be great. However, if anyone could let me know how to clear/correct those errors if the drive is good, or if someone could help me decide if the drive is bad.

P.S. I ran a second parity check and it found zero errors as well.

DiskErrors.txt server1-diagnostics-20220424-2210.zip

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

errors occurred right after spin up

NEVER let your disks spin down. It's an "age-old" argument and I'm, obviously, on the side of keeping them spinning (5 watts each?).

9 hours ago, SergeantCC4 said:

Is there a way to clear the listed errors in that case?

I think you need to do a backup. Take your time. Mechanical drives are tanks, just don't through a grenade in them. :)

Errors are there for a reason. Evaluate them. I wish I could help more.

Mr. Grey.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...