Cannot connect to SMB share with user permissions from Linux Debian 11

Go to solution Solved by Galactician,

I am migrating from Windows to Linux (loving it) and am working off a fresh Debian 11 installation running KDE Plasma 5.20.5 with Dolphin as the default file manager.

I am able to see my Unraid server through Dolphin and can browse/read all visible directories. I am unable to login properly though to make any writes. Sometimes (but not always) I get an authentication prompt, however entering my credentials does not work; the dialog just pops right back up again as if the server rejected my credentials. I have triple verified them of course, and I have confirmed that things still work as expected in Windows 10 and OSX.

In my search for answers I have noticed that some users have success with setting their user credentials in System Settings > Settings > Windows Shares, but this method hasn't worked for me.

Stuck and out of ideas. Thanks in advance!

Ah, sorry about that. Here it is.

So additional info as well. I tried a another file manager (Nautilus) just for kicks, and it's authenticating fine. So it might be an issue specifically with the Dolphin file manager. I am wondering if maybe there is a Samba version issue between UNRAID and KDE Plasma, or perhaps a missing dependency on my Linux box. Seeing a Samba log might help so I think I will go figure that part out too.

galactiserver-diagnostics-20220425-0102.zip

36 minutes ago, Galactician said:

So additional info as well. I tried a another file manager (Nautilus) just for kicks, and it's authenticating fine. So it might be an issue specifically with the Dolphin file manager.

Does seem like it could be Dolphin.  You could try accessing a share set to Public (most of yours seem to be set to Private) so no authentication is required to see if that works

Understand first that I come from the Windows world and  have not used a Linux client computer for fifteen years.

You should read an exchange of posts beginning with this one:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

I am not sure if a Linux client is restricted to only one connection to each SMB server or not.  However, if it is true that they are, then the same chain of events could result in you ending up being logged with 'guest' type privileges.  (In the Windows world, this situation results in cryptic error messages that provide absolutely no information about the real cause of the problem!)

Closing the loop on this for now in case others are looking for the answer, which unfortunately I still don't really have.

SMB connection is flaky at best. I ended up creating another user that matched my system user's credentials and that login worked briefly, but not consistently. After reboot it lost connection. After much fiddling I could get it to authenticate a couple times, but now I can't authenticate yet again.

I've tried all kinds of suggestions I've found in various disjointed posts from around the web and so far no real luck. I will update here if I manage to get it going so that others can see the answer.

• Solution

Finally having this working consistently by...

1. Setting up a user in Unraid that matched my host machine's user credentials.
  2. Setting up that same user info with same credentials in KDE Plasma's System Settings > Network Settings > Window Shares.
  3. Logging in to SMB in Dolphin with the path: smb://myuser@myserver/share.

Any of those things being off seems to make login inconsistent, but all of them being the same and it works on logout and reboot.

Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Edited by Galactician
  • Like 1