Alpine Docker

jhugh

I've now created several working dockers by clicking "Add Container" on Unraid's Docker page, putting the docker's pull name as the repository, and adding ports and drives as needed. (For example, adding a container port 80 to an arbitrary port on the host.)

I wanted to start a new project with a barebone's server so I tried to create a docker with the alpine repository by using "alpine". The docker was successful creating itself but in "Stopped" mode with pressing "Start" not doing anything and nothing is showing in the logs.

Am I doing something wrong?

My guess would be that since the alpine repo you link to is a base image it doesnt have a useful entry point. Docker containers are not really designed to be full system containers, docker focuses on running a single main process within a containerized environment. The ENTRYPOINT and COMMAND fields in a dockerfile work together to specify what that process should be, without them a container wont start because there is in effect nothing for it to do. You can override the entrypoint at runtime (lookup docker documentation on specific flag then put it in the extra arguments field in the template) which would let you play around with the base image. The intended usage however would be to use the alpine image as a base for creating your own docker image. You would write a dockerfile with the alpine image in the FROM statement, add the dependencies for your desired application, then an ENTRYPOINT and CMD to specify how that application should be launched in the container when the container starts.