Intel Supermicro suggestions to replace 3950x?

Somewhat a rehash of my previous post I'd inadvertently put in the wrong forum as I didn't realize there was a dedicated motherboard forum.

I've given up on finding the original configuration I'd planned and just resigned myself to getting a working Intel solution in the interim.

I've been prepping to upgrade my server to support more drives and just as I was about to snag all the bits, I can't find the ROMED8-2T motherboard I'd planned to use in stock anywhere for a reasonable price and it seems to have doubled in price everywhere in the last two weeks.

I was able to snag a CSE-846 and am expanding from 6+2 to 16+2 /w ideally space for up to 22+2 /w 2 mirred NVME cache drives. I'm currently using an AM4 board but am maxed out on PCI slots to add the additional 2x LSI 9201-8i's to support the additional drives. The backplane in the CSE-846 is a direct pass-through and not an expander so I need direct connections for each drive which is one of the big reasons I was swapping over to the ROMED8-2T.

Primary purpose is storage + Plex (lots of hardware encoding using quadro).

Ideally I'd love for the board to have a BMC and support at least 5 PCI slots + 2 NVME slots. Doesn't have to be AMD. On-board 10GB NIC would also be icing on the cake and save me another slot. If there's a supermicro alternative that would drop right in, that'd be even better.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Ideally I'd love suggestions on a Supermicro Intel board + CPU combo with (hopefully) at least one 10G nic and at least 1 x16 & 5 x8 PCIE slots that would at least be as good single-thread wise as my 3950x (cpumark of ~2738) would be fantastic. If it has m.2 slots that's also a big plus - but if it has 10G nic's I could put in a PCIE m.2 adapter if I had to.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Edited by Dub
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am in very similar position. I have a spare 12 bay 2u supermicro chassis with a damaged CPU1 socket on a X8DT3 motherboard. Can run perfectly fine with single cpu but want to upgrade it to something like Ryzen or EPYC but at the same time dont want to spend a fortune.

Power consumption is big issue so looking for something more efficient than the Xeon X5690s I am currently running. 

Edited by bally12345