New Parity drive dead already?

Hello Unraid forum.

Having a bit of an issue with my unraid server after replacing the parity drive yesterday. The parity was a 1.5tb samsung and was upgraded to a 2tb WTD. As expected after physically replacing the disk the new parity drive came up with the blue indicator and I brought the array online and ticked the checkbox to complete a parity rebuild / sync.

It all seemed to be working okay... 1200 minutes eta. Job done me thinks..

Woke up this morning and the parity drive is listed offline with the red indicator and about 127 errors on the UI main page. I don't seem to be able to get this disk online now.

If I unassign the disk, then reassign it, the indicator for the parity turns blue again and I can attempt another parity rebuild.. however now it fails almost instantly and takes the disk offline again (red). Throwing a great deal of write errors into the dmesg.

I have attached two files and was hoping that someone might be able to give me some assistance with what is occurring here.

dmesg_boot.txt - output from dmesg after the unraid server is booted

dmesg_parity-rebuild.txt - output from dmesg after the parity rebuild is issued again and fails almost instantly.

I'd appreciate any assistance I can get with troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Draz.

dmesg_boot.txt

dmesg_parity-rebuild.txt

Either the disk itself died, or a cable to it is loose and is making a poor connection (could be power OR data) or the disk controller port died.

to figure it out, power down, re-seat the connections, power up, see if the disk responds to a

smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sdX

command.

If not, try a new or different cable, then try a different port.  Yes, disks die with just a few hours on them.

Joe L.

Archived