Newb unable to access server - GUI or Windows Explorer

Go to solution Solved by cargo303,

I've only been using Unraid for about a month and just purchased the license. Recently I've been noticing that my Unraid server would occasionally be unresponsive when accessing through Windows Explorer. I could see the folders but not be able to open anything and a short time later all's good. Last night I realized the server no longer shows up under Network and the web gui doesn't connect. I replaced the LAN cable and when that didn't work, I thought that maybe the on-board NIC went bad.

I just connected a mouse and monitor to see if I could tell what's going on, but I got nothing. The server is still on, I didn't want to reboot and lose the log files before getting advice. Can anyone suggest next steps? I have some files on the server that I need (I realize I should have backups on another machine).

Thanks!

First, hit the <Enter> key a couple of times and see if that 'wakes' up the connected monitor. 

If that works log into the server and that should give you a command line prompt.  Type the following command:

diagnostics

That will write the Diagnostics file in the   logs   directory on the flash drive.  You can then upload the diagnostics file (in a new post, please) after shutting down the server.  (You can do this by pushing the power for about one second.  If it fails to response, push the button for about ten seconds to force a shutdown.)

If you have to force a shutdown with a long push, I would suggest setting up the Syslog Server to capture the file.  You can do this using these instructions:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-781601

Thanks for the reply. Monitor, mouse and keyboard connected to Unraid but no go on getting video to the monitor after hitting <Enter>. Since I have no way to setup the Syslog Server without having access, I'm guessing my only option at this point is a hard shutdown, but I would like to confirm that before I do something I can't un-do.

If/when I power down and then restart, other than setting up Syslog Server what should I check? If my network card has gone bad, how can I confirm? I'm totally lost here so I really appreciate the help!

1 hour ago, cargo303 said:

I'm guessing my only option at this point is a hard shutdown, but I would like to confirm that before I do something I can't un-do.

That is your only option at this point.   Hard shutdown usually don't cause serious problems in themselves.  (If the server is actually in the process of writing a file, that file would be incomplete.  It does always result in a parity rebuild that fixes errors in parity sync.)

You could run a Memtst (Boot Menu option) if you don't have ECC memory.

Generally, with a network card failure, there will be entries in the syslog regarding problems.  (Plus, I can't recall a network card failure causing a console lockup...)

Thanks again Frank. After reboot, I'm able to access via the web gui, but not Windows Explorer. 2 of the shares I had previously setup are offline (see attached screenshot). What do I need to do to mount those again? Do they need to be removed and recreated or something else?

Shares.png

• Solution

Most of my issues are resolved. The shares were no longer needed anyway so I cut my losses and removed them. And although TOWER doesn't appear under Network, if I type \\TOWER I get in just fine. Not sure what happened that's preventing me from seeing the drive but at least I can get what I need. Thanks all.

8 hours ago, cargo303 said:

Most of my issues are resolved. The shares were no longer needed anyway so I cut my losses and removed them. And although TOWER doesn't appear under Network, if I type \\TOWER I get in just fine. Not sure what happened that's preventing me from seeing the drive but at least I can get what I need. Thanks all.

This is actually the result of increased security implemented by Microsoft on SMB.  (Which they control...)  You can read about how to setup SMB so it will work more smoothly with Unraid and Windows in the PDF file in the first post of this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/