Cache drive reporting 500MB space instead of 500GB

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I have just installed unraid on a new machine. The hard drives I used are a mixture of new drives and drives I pulled from other systems:

- 1x 8TB drive currently set as parity (new drive)

- 1x 4TB drive currently set as a data drive (this was a drive pulled from an old synology)

- 1x 500GB SSD (new)

- 1x 500GB SSD (pulled from an old server, with files in it from then, basically it had an Ubuntu server installed)

I set the 2 SSD as two different caches. One I want to use for downloads, and the other for everything else (docker appdata, VMs etc). At the beginning I though all was working fine until one of my dockers started complaining about not having enough disk space, that's when I realised that Unraid thinks my old SSD drive has only 500MB of space left instead of 500GB.

I have reformatted the drive to no avail. When it was brtfs I tried a rebalance and it didn't change the disk space left. I stopped the array, changed that drive file system to xfs, reformatted, and it still reports 500MB. At this point I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 at 2.21.48.png

tower-diagnostics-20220515-0218.zip

4 hours ago, jmztaylor said:

I would think it is picking up the first partition which might be left over from the server OS that was installed.  This can be confirmed by running

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

And if you see one listed as 500MB and others that add up to 500GB then that is the issue. 

Hi, thanks for the reply, It did indeed have a 500MB partition, a GPT one. I have since then deleted all partitions but Unraid insists in giving it 537MB instread of 500GB. Here's the fdisk command after I deleted all partitions using gdisk:

root@Tower:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Disk model: Samsung SSD 840 
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1        2048 976773167 976771120 465.8G 83 Linux

Any more ideas?

Edited by The_Bell

I think something is still not quite right on that drive, as I get this warning when running gdisk:

Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by
33 blocks!
You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.

I really don't care what old data is in the disk and this can be safely deleted. What's the best way to just completely wipe this disk so it has no partitions and unraid can start using it fully?