Plex - Proper Naming of Files Solution.

This is what I do for naming my files. Before, I've never included the year in the file name, but now I do, not absolutely necessary, but I do this to all my files now.

Before if I had a movie and the cover art looks off, or wasn't the right one. I would go to TMDB and type in that movie. Also I'd click the little pencil icon and click on info to see what I had that file named as. Also looking at TMDB to see how they have spelled that movie name.

For example I had a movie called High Rise. There's a few of them on TMDB, but the one I had was actually High-Rise (hyphen), and the release date was 2015, so I name my file High-Rise (2015). So if you name the file and include the year in brackets, then it should pull in the proper data.

I know you can select Fix Match, and do it this way, but I've never ran into an issue with proper file naming.

I've never had an issue in Plex, doing it they way I had it.

But then I installed Kodi on my windows PC and pointed it to the Movie drive.

There's was a issue with one movie, I haven't bothered checking them all, but the movie was Gold (2016).

In Plex it showed it proper, but with Kodi and showed it differently.

Plex I believe gets the info from IMDb , and Kodi gets the info from TMDB. I know you can add different scrapers.

So the TMDB had 2 movies in 2016, one just being Gold, and the other was One Piece Film: Gold. And since the latter was released after the first one, Kodi pulled in this info instead. I did what you said and stuck in a folder called Gold (2016)/Gold (2016).mkv, and Kodi saw it properly.

So thanks for that!

Edited by FragaGeddon
7 hours ago, FragaGeddon said:

Plex I believe gets the info from IMDb

Not only. AFAIK Plex uses it's own CDN to feed the metadata to your server. The metadata is collected from various sources and combined on their site. It looks like that in the Plex XML files (e.g. a movie):

<Guid id="imdb://tt0841044" />
<Guid id="tmdb://1845" />
<Guid id="tvdb://7803" />

Here's the link to the "new" movie scanner.

All my Files are in the following format

Movies

Folder - Transformers-(2007)-(1080p)-(DTS)

File - Transformers-(2007)-(1080p).mkv

Tv Shows

Folder Breaking.Bad-(2008)

Breaking.Bad-_-S01E01.mkv

I've never had an issue with Plex ever. 

19 hours ago, kizer said:

I've never had an issue with Plex ever. 

Pure luck ;-)

If the company behind Plex publishs documents about how to proper name folders and files it's wise to follow their official manual.

Lot's of your additional characters are whitespace class or simply ignored like anything in (). They will become ignored by Plex.

If it did work for you in the past, ok. If it fails with some content in the future you know what to do then.

Edited by hawihoney

One thing that I now like about IMDb, is they display their stars in order of appearance in the movie.

So if I have a movie that looks wrong, I'll load it up and quickly go the end to see the credits.

Then I just go to IMDb and look at the stars for that movie in question.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, hawihoney said:

Pure luck ;-)

If the company behind Plex publishs documents about how to proper name folders and files it's wise to follow their official manual.

Lot's of your additional characters are whitespace class or simply ignored like anything in (). They will become ignored by Plex.

If it did work for you in the past, ok. If it fails with some content in the future you know what to do then.

The only thing I'm doing differently is including the Resolution and the Audio. We all know Plex scans the video for Resolution and Audio. 

I'm including the extra for my benefit not Plex's. 

I'm grateful for your concern and mentioning it to me, but I'm not worried at all.