Upgrade from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0, all drives wrong (pool and cache)

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I've been running 6.9.2 since initial release on this same hardware, so no changes before upgrade today. I'm running on an HPE DL380Gen9 with current BIOS and SPP and all parity and data drives on my LSI HBA card (LSI SAS3008), while both cache SSDs are on the Smart Array P440ar running in HBA mode. All drives (Parity, data, and cache) after the update are now identified with the "short" names, whereas before the upgrade they were all using the "long" names.

- v6.9.2 -  Parity 1 - HGST_HUH721212AL_5PJ85ZNE_35000cca291dfe875 - 12.0 TB

- v9.10.0 - Parity 1 - HGST_HUH721212AL600_5PJ85ZNE - 12.0 TB

I had this happen before when I replaced my older PERC H310 card that was flashed, just the other way around.

I know I'm going to have to run a "clean" config now, which will kick off a parity sync, but what happens with BTRFS since both SSDs are showing as wrong? Will unRAID right itself once the pool comes back online, or will I have to restore cache from a backup? Screenshot and diag file attached.

718686189_6_10.0upgrade.thumb.png.aeccfc0accd402e7cb5f172b0e72db25.png

tower20-diagnostics-20220520-1335.zip

• Solution

it looks like disk have slightly different ways of reporting their serial numbers under 6.10.0 on your system.

You should be able to:

• Use Tools->New Config and use the option to keep all assignments
  • return to the Main tab and correct all drives to have their new version of the serial numbers
  • tick the “Parity is Already Valid” checkbox
  • start the array and with any luck everything will now come up as normal.

You should update the LSI firmware, it's using a very old version that had this issue, and likely a driver change also correct this now.

To fix the problem you can do a new config:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply

Check that all assignments are correct, both array and cache, check "parity is already valid" and start the array

Thanks itimpi and JorgeB. Back up and running with no issues using the new config steps. Also no issues with the cache pool after the new config.

And thank you JorgeB for letting me know about the firmware version and the steps you provided. It worked perfectly and I couldn't believe I bought those cards that long ago. After the firmware and bios were updated on the LSI card, I went ahead and rebooted and the drives came back still using the "short" format.

• Like 1