Removing Disks - Zero Disk Script and Multiple Disks

Go to solution Solved by Geoff Bland,

I am removing 2 old 500GB drives from my UNRAID server.

I am using the clear disk script here

The first run on the clear disk script took around 12 hours to run and has zeroed the first disk.

Running the clear disk script again has found the second disk to clear and has so far taken 36 hours to zero only 28GB – only 5% of the disk. At this rate it will take over a month to zero this disk. Obviously, I don’t want to wait that long as something could eventually get written to the disks I am removing.

Is it OK to run the clear disk script on two separate drives? I can’t see anything in the script that would fail and my understanding of UNRAID parity leads me to believe this should be OK?

Am I missing something?

• Solution

As the zeroing of the second disk was going to take over a month to complete I aborted this. 

I then ran a parity check to be sure all was OK.

I then re-did the zeroing of the first disk (only) - then removed the first disk from the array and rebuilt it. 

Again ran a parity check to be sure all was OK.

Then I started a zeroing of the second disk again - and this time it ran at the normal speed. 

I was able to remove the second disk and rebuild the array a second time, all worked as expected this time.

So it seems like either there's some problem zeroing two disks one after the other without removing the first from the array or I was unlucky and had some gremlins that day.