6.10.1 upgrade - VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block kernel panic

had a perfectly working 6.9.x unraid instance and upgraded to 6.10.1. received kernel panic (attached) on first boot after upgrading. troubleshooting so far

• wiped USB drive, used drive creator for totally vanilla unraid instance. same error
  • set root=sda in syslinux.cfg on normal boot option, same error
  • reverted syslinux.cfg changes
  • changed efi- folder into efi, converted server to UEFI (no CSM) mode, same error

any idea why this would suddenly occur on my server? my USB drive has one partition and was created by the official tool. also occurs with a vanilla USB drive at this point.

CapturePanic.PNG

Edited by Sousapro
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

This is usually flash drive related, try re-creating it or use a different one without a key, just to test.

I bought a new flash drive just for Unraid, but I couldn't get it to work back then.. now returning to it, formatting and running the USB creator several times and switching USB ports it suddenly worked. Up and running on 6.10.3 (Mac Pro 5,1). I don't think I'll be updating to any newer version any time soon =/

Have a nice weekend and good luck to OP!