2 Drive Data Rebuild - 3rd Data Drive Read Erroring

Go to solution Solved by Its_,

As the title says. I'm currently doing a 2 drive data rebuild right now and I just had a 3rd drive start read erroring. Unraid didn't disable the 3rd one. It shows a * for the temperature and unraid is continuously trying to read from it for the rebuild. Up to 260 million errors at this time. Log file is also full.

I don't know what I can do to fix the 3rd drive. I really don't want to lose any data. Any help is appreciated.

Or am I overthinking this and I can just restart the array / server?

And in-case you like visuals of what's wrong here:

UpcurvedAppletiserorAppletise502.png

tower-diagnostics-20220523-1919.zip

Edited by Its_
  • Solution

Update: I just restarted the server to also clear the logs. Looks to have fixed it.

I need to figure out why this always randomly happens. Same thing happened for those two drives. Hence the rebuilds.

Side Note: Totally unrelated but does anyone know the max amount of drives you should have on one Sata Power Cable?

Edited by Its_
29 minutes ago, Its_ said:

Update: I just restarted the server to also clear the logs. Looks to have fixed it.

I need to figure out why this always randomly happens. Same thing happened for those two drives. Hence the rebuilds.

Side Note: Totally unrelated but does anyone know the max amount of drives you should have on one Sata Power Cable?

Probably not unrelated.

SATA power connectors are extremely flimsy compared to the 4 pin style, so you should really only have 1 drive worth of power through each SATA connector. Stock cables should have the proper number of connectors, so as long as you don't use splitters, the answer is "as many SATA connectors as came from the factory should be fine on one continuous run from the PSU"

If you must use splitters, the PSU end should be the 4 pin style, and the SATA ends should be crimped or IDC not molded.

On 5/23/2022 at 8:57 PM, JonathanM said:

Probably not unrelated.

SATA power connectors are extremely flimsy compared to the 4 pin style, so you should really only have 1 drive worth of power through each SATA connector. Stock cables should have the proper number of connectors, so as long as you don't use splitters, the answer is "as many SATA connectors as came from the factory should be fine on one continuous run from the PSU"

If you must use splitters, the PSU end should be the 4 pin style, and the SATA ends should be crimped or IDC not molded.

Yea. I've had that thought for a while now. I have, I believe 9 or so drives on one rail since I don't have many sata power ports on my power supply.

Edit: Had 12 on one connection.

Edited by Its_