Disk Failed - Red X'ed Best method to remove old drive (for 7 days) then replace with new drive when it arrives.

Hello Guys:

Need a little help on this one.

I have a Seagate Ironwolf drive in my array, 6TB data-drive which is failing (I think). 7200RPM.

I have two 6TB Parity drives (Seagate Ironwolf as above) and another 6TB Seagate datadrive (again same). No errors from these drives.

All the other drives are WD and Hitachi. Got to eventually get around to replacing the smaller drives with bigger ones to free up space in the array cabinet LOL.

I am going to RMA the drive back to Seagate after checking the warranty status which expires in 7 days, Yikes! Just in time.

I have already received an RMA authorization from Seagate BUT they require me to ship the drive to them before they will send a replacement. This will take about 7-10 days round trip. Hopefully sooner.

I have not rebooted Unraid until I hear from you guys nor have I stopped and restarted the array.

I have been getting sector errors and I/O errors on this 'failed' drive and such as seen in the logs.

So what is the best means to remove the 'failed' drive without causing further issues with the array.

And can I run without the failed drive in the array and when the new replacement arrives then pre-clear and so-on?

I have attached diagnostics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Sparkie

tower-diagnostics-20220528-1305.zip

You can just remove the disk and then when you reboot the system the missing drive will be emulated using the combination of parity plus all the data drives (assuming you currently have valid parity).   Since you have dual parity you still have a level of protection against another drive failing.

Having said that there is no SMART information for the failed drive as it appears to have dropped offline.    You might want to consider power-cycling the server and getting new diagnostics to see if the SMART information for the disabled disk is available.    Experience has shown that disks can more commonly get disabled for reasons other than the disk itself failing.   You should also check that the emulated disk is mounting fine and that it’s contents are what you expect.

Thanks for the information, that's very helpful.

On a whim I checked the local BestBuy and they had an 8TB WD Red SAS drive which I purchased.

So from what I have read given my Parity drives are 6TB the max size of this new drive in the array will be 6TB.

In the meantime I will shutdown and restart the server and see if the 'failed' drive comes back online.

If so I will download a new diagnostics and post.

Again, thanks very much for the quick response, very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sparkie

Looks like the disabled disk really needs replacing :(  These values in the SMART information for that drive are not good:

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   100   100   010    -    96
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    8
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    8

Although not necessarily fatal, Ideally you would want all of those to be 0.

You could run an extended SMART test on the drive to confirm, but I would expect that to fail.

Thanks again for the excellent help.

Ran the extended SMART test.

Diagnostics attached.

Unraid reported: Errors occurred - Check SMART report

Looks like the drive is needing replacement.

On another but related subject:

I now have the failed disk and it is being properly emulated.

I have two parity disks both 6TB Seagate Ironwolf 7200RPM.

My replacement disk for the failed disk is an 8TB WD Red Plus 7200RPM.

This will be a problem as the replacement data disk cannot be bigger than the parity drives.

SpaceInvader One talked about my situation almost exactly but his scenario had only one parity drive.

His procedure involved a parity copy procedure by removing the parity drive replacing it with a larger drive and assigning it to parity then copying the removed parity disk to the new larger parity disk.

In my case I have two 6TB parity drives and replacing one of them with the 8TB then copying the removed parity drive to that one.

I assume in that case the max size of parity at the end of the parity copy is still 6TB until I get around to replacing the last remaining 6TB parity with an 8TB?

With a failed disk in the array will that impact the data rebuild after the parity drive is replaced assuming I can do this.

Cheers,

Sparkie

tower-smart-20220528-1635.zip