Parts list check.

GaryT

I've been thinking of building an unraid server for a while now and I think I am finally ready. I will be using this to serve dvd and music rips to three HTPC's. Currently I have a desktop Pentium d 3.0GHz with a maxtor 1.5TB for movies (almost full) and seagate 500GB for music (almost full).  I just purchased a buffalo 2TB terrastation (hard to pass up @ 799) for expansion, but I think I want something that can grow as my needs grow. 

Motherboard  Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Processor      Intel Pentium Allendale 2.2GHz Dual-Core

Video Card    EVGA 128-P1-N320-LX PCI

Memory        1g DDR2 PC4200 533MHz (already have)

Case              Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS

Power Supply  Thermaltake Tough Power QFan Series 500W

Drives            Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Sata 3.0Gb/s (3 or 4 to start with)

Please let me know what you think. Be gentle, I'm kinda new to this whole computer building thing.

Thanks,

Gary Trudeau

For a new guy, you have picked some very good components (except the PCI video card of course).  Have fun building it!

My one quibble would be the power supply.  I have no knowledge of the Qfan series you mention above, but in general, Thermaltake power supplies do not have a very good reputation, unlike the rest of their products.  It should be adequate to start with though.  If I were anticipating more than 6 drives in the future, I would probably select a higher quality PS.  You do not necessarily need higher wattage, 500 to 700 watts should be fine.

Thanks Rob for the reply. I chose the PCI video card because it was cheap and hopefully won't produce much heat. I also figured that the video wasn't important and because it's PCI I don't use the PCIe slots I will eventually use for expansion. Am I correct in my thinking?

How about SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM 600W, 80 Plus certified, modular plugs, and 5 year warranty.

I will probably use AMS or Icydock 5 in 3 backplane modules.

What do you think of the case? I figured it would give me room to grow, and because it has lots of room it will be easier to keep it cool.

I want to get this right the first time, I'd rather spend a little bit more now than spend it twice to do it over.

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks Rob for the reply. I chose the PCI video card because it was cheap and hopefully won't produce much heat. I also figured that the video wasn't important and because it's PCI I don't use the PCIe slots I will eventually use for expansion. Am I correct in my thinking?

Sorry I wasn't clearer.  An old used wimpy PCI video card is a GOOD choice, as NLS says.

How about SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM 600W, 80 Plus certified, modular plugs, and 5 year warranty.

I will probably use AMS or Icydock 5 in 3 backplane modules.

SeaSonic?  Now you're talking Quality!

What do you think of the case? I figured it would give me room to grow, and because it has lots of room it will be easier to keep it cool.

I want to get this right the firs time, I'd rather spend a little bit more now than spend it twice to do it over.

I think the CM Stackers, Thermaltake Armors, Antec 900s, and some of the big server and full tower Lian Li's are the favorites, but search the forum for some other good choices too.

I now have two of the CM Stackers and really like them. One has mounts for two P/S and the other just one so if you think you will need two pay close attention to that. Personally I think one quality P/S is good enough. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119039

The 5in3 cages I have only use 3molex each so not exactly needing tons of juice it seems. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405 They have 80mm fans for cooling and seem to work fine - and are quiet.

My first machine is IDE and doesn't use cages - swapping drives is a royal PITA. If you can use trays do so. The CoolerMaster 4in1 boxes have 12cm fans and are CHEAP - $20. Those can hold IDE or SATA but swapping isn't exactly cake. http://www.shopbot.ca/p-23386-1794644.html or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999169

Thanks guys for all the help and comments. I think I have my final list of parts.

Motherboard    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Processor          Intel Pentium Allendale 2.2GHz Dual-Core

Video Card        EVGA 128-P1-N320-LX PCI

Memory            1g DDR2 PC4200 533MHz (already have)

Case                Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01

Power Supply  SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM 600W, 80 Plus certified, modular plugs, and 5 year warranty

Drives              Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Sata 3.0Gb/s (3 or 4 to start with)

Backplane        Supermicro 5 in 3 Backplane CSE-M35T-1B

I'm sure all have more questions once I get everything and put it all together

Thanks everybody,

Gary

Archived