Replace drive question (array order/infos get lost on array stop)

Seems I fixed the error, unplugged all SATA cables to the bay in question and reattached them. The error seems to be gone now, I copied the whole contents from the ddrescue-image of the original disk back over to the new disk and no more UDMA CRC errors.

There still seems to be a problem with the super.dat file though - all drives lose assignments on a reboot (but no longer on a stop/start array action).

There also is no new super.dat created in /boot - there was the first time I started off the new flash drive, but I still had the error about it in the syslog, deleted it and it doesn't get created now.

Current diagnostics attached.

darkrack-diagnostics-20220622-1925.zip

8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Didn't re-read the entire thread, but if you didn't yet try recreating the flash drive, backup current one, re-do it manually or by using the USB tool, then restore the config folder.

That's basically what I did to create the current flash drive a few days ago.

• 3 months later...

Restarting this thread:

I had to replace my flash drive again this weekend (the previous one I used showed read/write errors). I opted for a new, factory sealed SanDisk USB 2.0 drive this time around.

There still seems to be some problem with the super.dat file/storage of disk slots:

• if I merely stop and restart the array, everything is file; disks keep their assignments and I can start the array without problems
  • as soon as I change anything in the list of disks (right now, I'd like to replace disk5 as described here and set disk5 to "no device"), all disk assignments are lost; there is a corresponding entry in the log:
Sep 26 08:49:53 Tower kernel: read_file: error 2 opening /boot/config/super.dat

Sep 26 08:49:53 Tower kernel: md: could not read superblock from /boot/config/super.dat

The super.dat file is fine up to this point, and can also be read and restored from backup.

What I am trying to achieve is:

• replace disk5 by disabling the array, setting disk5 to be emulated by parity, insert a new disk, preclear the new disk using the Unassigned Devices Preclear script, then use the new disk in the disk5 slot
  • repeat the whole procedure for disk3

Log attached, anything else I can try? Slowly running out of space and I have disks lying around to increase storage space by a total of 4.5 TB which I currently cannot use.

darkrack-diagnostics-20220926-1006.zip