7 Days To Die Server issues: "Could not retrieve server information"

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I'm pretty new to all of this and was hoping someone could provide a helping hand.  I installed ich777's "7DaysToDie" docker on my headless Unraid Nas server and it seems to have installed ok. (See attached log file called "log_file_7dtd.txt" ). However when I launch Steam from my desktop and run the game, Steam does see my 7dtd server but eventually after attempting to connect, it returns the error message "Could not retrieve server information".  I suspect I botched the port forwarding on my router. The Nas is on a static IP address. I did do port forwarding on but maybe I did the ports wrong. I'm a bit confused about "Private Port" and the "Public Port" settings. (Should the Public port be 80?) .
Anyways, if you require additional info., please do not hesitate to ask. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Port_Forward.JPG

Edited by StephenCND
  • Solution

In the Unraid webUI of your server, there is a Dashboard page that displays your dockers, and there is also a Docker page that displays your dockers.

If you click on the icon for the specific docker you want support for, on either of those pages, and click Support, it should take you to the support thread already created for that specific docker.

I don't have that docker installed, but another way to get to the support thread for a specific docker is to choose the docker from the Apps page and click the Support link displayed with its description.

Here is the Support thread for that docker which I got from the Apps page as I just described.

Ya... I went to the Docker tab, then the 7Days to Die docker, and went to  "Support" . Got to the place you linked, but I was unsure if I should select "Reply to this Topic" or "Start New Topic" (in the upper right hand corner of the page). I figured I'm not replying to a topic, I'm creating one so I went there. Once in there, I had to select from a pull down menu and select a forum. The "Docker Container" forum is greyed-out and not selectable for me (I'm guessing it's reserved for Devs?), so I was forced to select the next closest thing (Docker Engine). Sorry if I messed things up for a simple post .... but I hate to say it's not that intuitive to post in here!

You should be replying to the already created support thread. That is the whole purpose of these already created support threads, and the reason clicking on Support takes you there. You can't create new threads in the Docker Support forum because only people who create dockers and/or support them can create a new thread there, a new thread for supporting specific dockers.

On the other hand, usually if you see another thread in General Support started by another user, and their problem reminds you of a problem you are having, you probably should start your own thread, unless you want to contribute to helping that other user.

Many people post in another users thread saying "I have the same exact problem", but further examination of the details shows they are considerably different and require different solutions. Better to keep these discussions in separate threads so each user can get the help they need and nobody gets confused about what information applies to which user, especially when we are trying to prevent data loss.

9 minutes ago, StephenCND said:

it's not that intuitive to post in here

I agree it's a little confusing and inconsistent.

• 9 months later...

You're on the right track with checking your port forwarding settings. Private Port refers to the port on your local network, while Public Port refers to the port visible to the internet. As for the specific ports you should be using, it depends on your setup. Typically, 7 Days to Die uses port 26900 for the game server and port 8080 for the web interface. However, the ports may vary if you use a different setup or hosting provider. You might want to compare hosting plans at https://7d2d.net/compare-hosting-plans to see what works best for you. Best of luck!

Edited by RafaelNorman