Problem adding new drive

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I added a 3rd data drive to my array, and went about how I normally do it. After it was added, Unraid went through the process of clearing it, and once it was done I formatted it, but after the format it still said it was unmountable. I tried this several times with no results. So, I figured I would take it back out of the array and see if there was something I could do in Unassigned Devices, but that was apparently a mistake, because then Unraid saw the disk was missing and started emulating it, even though it was never mounted in the first place. So I added the disk back to the array and it has begun a parity rebuild. Currently, as shown in the screenshot, the drive is still shown as unmountable. So what exactly will happen once the rebuild is done? I'm assuming it will still be unmountable. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Untitled.thumb.jpg.0e25f2b1e03809a814390edd23d20f64.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20220627-2159.zip

Edited by rdross80
  • Like 1
Just now, trurl said:

Did something partition this disk before you added it to the array?

Not that I know of. It was an external drive that I bought brand new that I shucked. Only thing I did before shucking was hooked it up to my Windows PC to make sure it was a 14tb drive. From there I installed it into my server and added it to my array. Nothing in between. 

So should I let it continue rebuilding the parity before trying anything else? It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so damn long. Also, is there a way to remove that disk without it requiring a parity rebuild? Like, just revert it back to the way it was before I installed that drive?

Okay, so I stopped the rebuild, stopped the array and took the disk out of the array and into unassigned devices. I then tried pre-clearing it, but got this error message: Disk /dev/sdd is part of Unraid array. Aborted.

Is there anyway around this? If not, what are my other options? Will I just have to buy another drive? 

Oh geez, it really was that simple. After rebooting, I added the drive back to the array, and it's no longer showing unmountable and I can see the full size of the drive. It's currently going through a data rebuild, but I'm pretty sure after that, everything will be good. I feel kinda dumb about it now, as rebooting should always be the first thing to do with most issues. I'll update tomorrow after the rebuild just to verify that everything is good.

6 minutes ago, rdross80 said:

I linked the diagnostics in the first post if you want to look at it. It's all Greek to me. 

I already did look at them and used them as a basis for the replies I made earlier.

I am simply disagreeing with your "general principle" of rebooting as the first thing to do for any problem.

Rebooting won't help for most things, and if you don't at least get diagnostics before rebooting we have lost information about what happened before reboot.