Slow SMB file transfer? - only 50% speed

Go to solution Solved by kladze,

Hello Unraid,

I'm all new to unraid, so bare with me if there is stuff that i dont know.

I'm facing an issue where transfering files from my windows RIG, over the network to unraid, is rather disapointing... I',m only getting 50MB/sec or roughly 500mbit on the network....

Its 1 Gbit link between unraid and client pc... Unraid is 4x 8TB disk + 500gb ssd disk cache...

Trying to transfer files directly to share (with caching disabled) is the samme speed as if i have cache in front of the array.... i dont see any speed difference... So something seems to be really messed up with the SMB, even though i have not change anything out of the box othat than enabled "share".

Any clues as to what the issue is? Or how i can troubleshoot it... google likes to point in a million different directions and even though i've tried a few different methods suggested by google... i've not had an performance increase....

I would expect to be in the 90-100 MB/sec and fully use the 1Gbit link...

3 hours ago, kladze said:

transfer files directly to share (with caching disabled) is the samme speed as if i have cache in front of the array

The way you say this (cache in front of the array?) makes me ask this question:

Do you mean you get the same speed if the specific user share you are writing to is set cache:yes or cache:no?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

The way you say this (cache in front of the array?) makes me ask this question:

Do you mean you get the same speed if the specific user share you are writing to is set cache:yes or cache:no?

yes, correct.

Writing to array directly or ... going through the cache both provides the same speed...

• Solution
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Start by running a single stream iperf test to check network bandwidth.

it shows 500mbit....

But looks like i have resolved it... After looking at my network setup.. i saw that my main computer went into my mesh router, and then a cable from the mesh router down to a switch with other stuff plugged into that... apprently it looks like the mesh router can't handle 1gbit  on the dedicated ports, even if trying to have both server and client plugged into the mesh router...

however having both clients on the same switch, gave me access to true 1gbit... now going strong with 100-110MB/sec on the SMB file transfer...

Thanks for pointing me to iperf.. that made me re-think the network infrastructure was the problem somehow... :)

• Like 1