Didn't pop out login page when remote access

marco_yang

UNRAID version: 6.10.3

Hi all! I am struggled with the login security problem, I am not sure if it is on UNRAID system side or my config side: When I am trying to use public IP address remote access UNRAID webGui page, it didn't pop up a login page to require me account and password. This means everyone who knows my IP can easily visit my webGUI. I am pretty sure this is not a credential memory problem (when I switch to a brand new device the login page still didn't pop out).

I don't have a public IPv4 address so I used a cloud server (which has a valid public IPv4 address) to transfer my visit. So basically everytime I visit the cloud server IP, it will forward me to my UNRAID. The docker I used is here: https://github.com/fatedier/frp/blob/master/README.md

I think this is more likely to be a system side issue because all dockers (Jellyfin, File Browser etc) where working fine and pops out login page as they should and I am using exact same way to configure visiting. 

Does anyone know anything about how to fix it? Thanks~

image.png.a3b54e5638f7e67079d4bb8d2b53e364.png

image.png.c97b705ad915b82e5bdf6a55444739f6.png

Edited by marco_yang

You should never directly open up your Unraid server to the internet - doing so is almost certain to lead to you getting hacked.

If you want secure remote access to your server then you should use a VPN - Unraid has the WireGuard VPN built in.  You also have the My Servers plugin as an alternative way to get secure remote access to your server.

Going back to your original question if you do not get a login prompt then that is almost certainly because the browser you are using has cached the credentials.

37 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You should never directly open up your Unraid server to the internet - doing so is almost certain to lead to you getting hacked.

If you want secure remote access to your server then you should use a VPN - Unraid has the WireGuard VPN built in.  You also have the My Servers plugin as an alternative way to get secure remote access to your server.

Going back to your original question if you do not get a login prompt then that is almost certainly because the browser you are using has cached the credentials.

Hi itimpi! Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, WireGuard is a great way to remote access. However, it require a Public IPv4 address isn't it? Unfortunately, I do not have a valid Public IP address from my carrier. Is there any other ways to fix this problem?

Back to my original topic, I am pretty sure it is not because of cached credentials. I just downloaded a new Chrome on my iPad and didn't login my account. The IP still direct me to dashboard instead of login page.

52 minutes ago, marco_yang said:

However, it require a Public IPv4 address isn't it? Unfortunately, I do not have a valid Public IP address from my carrier. Is there any other ways to fix this problem?

Are you saying you do not get an IP address displayed when you go to whatismyip.com in your browser when attached to your local LAN?

24 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Are you saying you do not get an IP address displayed when you go to whatismyip.com in your browser when attached to your local LAN?

Yes it does display an IP address but that's not a public IPv4, it is more likely a subnet IP address.

IPv4 address is running out right now so a lot of newly constructed apartments do not have a public IP address anymore. The way they do is set a router with one public IP for the entire building and let each apartments set subnet under the router. In this situation my displayed "public IP address" on whatismyip.com is actually a subnet address configured by the apartment router.