Can't create files that begin with '_' via SMB

hi

Unraid newbie here. I have all kinds of NAS's and haven't had this problem before, so i'm wondering what i need to do to allow a regular user to create files that start with underscores via the SMB protocol.

A little background, i setup a basic unraid server using an Intel NIC and an IcyBox USB3.1 10 disc enclosure filled with 5 disks and an SSD as cache. i know the USB thing isn't a good idea, but i don't have my server yet plus i needed to create backups of a failing Drobo system that's hosts 100,000 of graphics files. 

i create 2 shares, a regular user, and started copying the files from my Mac to the server, using rsync.

i know that rsync by default hides the files it's transferring on the destination by creating a '.' version of the file. So 'picture1.jpg' becomes '.picture1.jpg.#####' while in transfer (there is some extra character added in the end to make the file unique, i guess). once transfer completed it replaced the . file with the actual original file. this is the command i'm using : 'rsync --progress -av <srcfolder> <destfolder>.

i'm doing this from the source Mac and push out the files to the unraid server, making the owner and permission match the user i cannot to the share with.

this works great and even with good speed (because of the cache) but i started noticing errors like 'couldn't create ._picture1.jpg files. Incorrectly i thought they were leftovers from when i modified the files from another Mac over SMB, thinking it was a hidden backup copy of the original file... 

oh was i wrong, it turns out that i do have files that correctly start with an underscore and that this normal user through SMB on Unraid cannot create files with such names. when i copy a file on the unraid share and then rename it to _file1.txt it just disappears.

i thought: it just disappears from view, but no, it's gone it's not there. even checked with CLI from the UI as root. nothing...

so there must be some SMB config instruction that i need to add to allow a regular user create files with such filenames, other than what appears to be added by default on Synology and QNAP.  any ideas?

Check the status of this setting:

image.thumb.png.93c2d4e0d8803133d087e8e2bd6fe2f9.png

If that is not the issue.  Then try to do it without using rsync.  

I just tested using a Windows 10 computer.  I, first, created a folder and a file beginning with an underscrore.  Then I created a folder beginning with a '._'  and generated a file in it with a '._' prefix.  No problems in either case.

Thanks Frank1940,

i checked those settings and hide 'dot' files is set to No on my end as well.

the only difference is 'enhanced macOS interoperability' is set to Yes - was a default because i'm sure i didn't temper with it.

i'll try the same form a Windows 10 PC as well.

from a Mac however, copying the file in any other way succeeds but then gets hidden and then removed completely. same as when through Finder on the SMB-unraid share i would rename an existing file to '_file1.txt', it just disappears.

however when i do the same as root via the CLI i can see the file with '_' prefix just fine and open it without issues in Finder on the SMB share.

i know i could copy the whole tree from the unraid CLI as well using rsync but then all files are owned by root and unless someone tells me that's not a problem becuase SMB doesn't care about the underlying OS user, but i'd rather do it the other way round.

just to confirm: copy pasting the same files from Windows does work... i'll try regular copy from Macos next. though i need to in way to use rsync as the same folder structure of YYYY/MM/DD/<subfolder>/<files> exist at the destination already. i need to 'merge' folder and i think only rsync can do that.

i just found an --inplace rsync option.. perhaps that's what i need.

37 minutes ago, KristofG said:

the only difference is 'enhanced macOS interoperability' is set to Yes - was a default because i'm sure i didn't temper with it.

I believe it is not the default BUT is often required for the macOS to function

image.thumb.png.5aa3f0d51f26b26d639226bc8597f629.png

(If you point you cursor at the 'Enhance macOS...', you will see the help for that function listed....)

MacOs and SMB seem to have a love-hate relationship.  Why, I don't know.  Apple is generally known for attempting to make things easy to use.   SMB can be very simple (on windows) to setup a working system... but that setup can/(probably) have a lot of security holes.  Plugging those holes is what makes SMB difficult. 

Thinking about it a bit more.  Unix, Linux and macOS allows one to 'hide' files/directories by beginning them with a period.  Windows is the odd one out here.

Edited by Frank1940

thanks for pointing that out.

in the meantime i've check the /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf and noticed the 'vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr' directive - probably necessary for Time Machine backups as you say.

also i now appear to have working what i wanted using the extra --inplace rsync parameter as it now no longer create the temporary '._xxx.xxx' files, even from my macs.

thanks for the help anyway.