Upgraded HW & VM disappeared. How to retrieve?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Yesterday I updated the main HW that my Unraid server was running on. Most of the change went fine & it now running as it should, however I have had an issue with VMs...

I used to have 3 VMs (2x Ubuntu Server, 1x Ubuntu desktop, if it makes a difference). When I first booted after swapping the HW over, the VMs wouldn't start & I got an error basically saying virtualisation wasn't enabled (my bad, I forgot to check before first booting). I enabled virtualisation & rebooted into Unraid, but then 1 of the VMs seemed to not exist anymore under my VM tab.

I can still find the Vdisk for the "missing" VM, but I don't know how to go about getting this back to a usable VM. Can I just add a new VM, and point it to that Vdisk, or would that wipe it?

I have a backup of my libvert file, but it's quite old (I only just realised that the auto backup for it won't backup on schedule, as the VMs are left running, and it can't backup a file in use). If I replace the old libvert file, but with the new vdisks, would this revert all VMs back to the state at the point of the libvert file, or would it restore the data as per the latest vdisk? Or is there a completely different route I need to take to restore?

• Solution
Just now, thingie2 said:

If I replace the old libvert file, but with the new vdisks, would this revert all VMs back to the state at the point of the libvert file, or would it restore the data as per the latest vdisk?

VM configuration/settings would revert, if there were any changes since, any data in the vdisks would remain.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

VM configuration/settings would revert, if there were any changes since, any data in the vdisks would remain.

Awesome, that was my hope, so I'll be able to replace the libvert file, and my VMs should return, but I might need to change any VM config changes I've made since (CPU cores available, memory available etc?)