NAS HARD DRIVE ERRORS

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

About every other day for about a week now, I have been getting a handful of read errors on one drive that correct themselves. I've run several short smart tests and one extended smart test with no errors.

Then today something finally bit the dust, I ended up with 3974 errors (both read & write) some errors like "blk_update_request: I/O error, op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000  prio class 0" and "Synchronize Cache(10) failed" and the drive gets disabled.

This drive is actually one of my newer ones and unfortunately also my good CMR 6GB drive (instead of my screwed-over-by-WD secretly-SMR 6GB drive) so I'm hoping I don't have to replace it.

Would someone smarter than me mind taking a look at my diagnostics and let me know if I just need to replace the drive?

Is there anything I can do besides more smart tests to see what the issue is? Should I do a preclear?

Diagnostics attached. Thanks.

serv-x370-diagnostics-20220829-1135.zip

Possibly related: I have also been having some issues with an SSD passed-through to a VM which I am pretty sure is a bad drive that I plan on replacing.

Is it possible for potential corruption issues with that drive somehow spilling over to my array drives? I did notice that my file integrity scans found some corruptions on the bad array disk around the same time as the errors (see system log diagnostics). These aren't totally unusual though, I get them every once in a while on certain files being shared w/ multiple dockers/smb.

22 minutes ago, sunbear said:

Is it possible for potential corruption issues with that drive somehow spilling over to my array drives?

No, but if you have hardware issues that caused that corruption they could affect other drives. Save me the trouble of opening every SMART report by telling me which drives are involved. Do any have SMART warnings on the Dashboard page?

Ok, I'm pretty confident it's not the cable but the plug on this drive (I've had issues with it before). I've cleaned and re-seated the plug.

I'm starting the system back up and was going to run a filesystem check for that drive if that's possible for a disabled drive.

Do y'all have any recommendations for testing this drive to make sure I've got a good connection?