Power outage happend and now my server says "unable to mount root fs"

Hobin
Go to solution Solved by Hoopster,

As the title suggests my server has been running for a while now, but last night i had a power outage and now it gets stuck on the "unable to mount root fs", ive been looking around on what the issue might be/how to fix it but nothing has seem to come up.

I have seen making a new usb and copying over the config, but everytime ive tried it hangs on copying "unraid-api.tgz",

if there are any solutions any help would be apprciated!

3 minutes ago, Hobin said:

I have seen making a new usb and copying over the config, but everytime ive tried it hangs on copying "unraid-api.tgz",

Do you have a flash drive backup from before the power outage?

It sounds like some files on your flash drive have become corrupted (can happen with power outages).  Your best bet is to create a new unraid flash drive and restore config folder from a backup if you have it.  You could probably get away with reformatting/recreating unraid files on the existing flash drive unless it is physically damaged in some way.

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Do you have a flash drive backup from before the power outage?

It sounds like some files on your flash drive have become corrupted (can happen with power outages).  Your best bet is to create a new unraid flash drive and restore config folder from a backup if you have it.  You could probably get away with reformatting/recreating unraid files on the existing flash drive unless it is physically damaged in some way.

I don't believe i have a backup(stupid me), i can get into the drive completely but as i stated when i attempt to copy the whole config folder over it always stops working when it tries to copy "unraid-api.tgz", im compeletly okay with having to re add my plugins etc if need be on a new usb/the same one but i just dont want to have to re buy an unraid key again, if i just need to copy the key file over for it to work im happy with that, ideally id like to just copy it all but it doesnt seem to allow me too.

1 minute ago, Hobin said:

I don't believe i have a backup(stupid me), i can get into the drive completely but as i stated when i attempt to copy the whole config folder over it always stops working when it tries to copy "unraid-api.tgz", im compeletly okay with having to re add my plugins etc if need be on a new usb/the same one but i just dont want to have to re buy an unraid key again, if i just need to copy the key file over for it to work im happy with that, ideally id like to just copy it all but it doesnt seem to allow me too.

Lacking a backup, you may have to redo some of the configuration.  However, docker containers and plugins that were installed via CA Apps can be be reinstalled with with all previous settings intact via Previous Apps from the Apps tab.

If you use the same USB flash drive, get the *.key file from the config folder and copy over to new config once you recreate the flash drive.

Worse case scenario will allow you to register a new flash drive GUID (if you need a new flash drive) for your unRAID license without needing to purchase a new license.

Just now, Hoopster said:

docker containers and plugins that were installed via CA Apps can be be reinstalled with with all previous settings intact via Previous Apps from the Apps tab.

The docker templates on flash are required for Previous Apps.

Copy as much as you can of config folder. That one file that isn't copying so far I believe is for MyServers plugin. Probably it would be included anyway with a new install.

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Lacking a backup, you may have to redo some of the configuration.  However, docker containers and plugins that were installed via CA Apps can be be reinstalled with with all previous settings intact via Previous Apps from the Apps tab.

If you use the same USB flash drive, get the *.key file from the config folder and copy over to new config once you recreate the flash drive.

Worse case scenario will allow you to register a new flash drive GUID (if you need a new flash drive) for your unRAID license without needing to purchase a new license.

So your saying just copy over the Basic.key and it should be fine? as in all my shares/data on the drives would be good and not deleted? as for the apps/plugins all were from CA as far as i know, see picture for reference.

unraidpic.png.929f8eaef6b8636c0b3591dc7f7b4c7a.png

3 minutes ago, Hobin said:

So your saying just copy over the Basic.key and it should be fine? as in all my shares/data on the drives would be good and not deleted?

Do what @trurl mentioned and copy everything you can from the config folder before recreating flash drive.

Flash drive corruption does not affect array disks and data.  Shares are just top-level folders on disks and should still be intact unless your power outage somehow affected the array drives.  This is why a UPS is highly recommended.

Do what @trurl mentioned and copy everything you can from the config folder before recreating flash drive.

Flash drive corruption does not affect array disks and data.  Shares are just top-level folders on disks and should still be intact unless your power outage somehow affected the array drives.  This is why a UPS is highly recommended.

Will do, and yea i was planning on getting a UPS just didn't have the funds at the current moment so this will 100% be on my to do list now

37 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

22 minutes ago, Hobin said:

Okay it seem to work, but now the issue is it cant seem to find the key?

Screenshot_6.thumb.png.746a5203d67bb879f08ecbe2ffb36e8b.png

Your screenshot above shows both a trial key and a basic key.

Did you use the same flash drive from when you purchased the basic key or a new flash drive?  Is the basic.key file in the config folder on the flash drive from which you are currently booting?

Edited by Hoopster

Your screenshot above shows both a trial key but you mentioned a basic key.

Did you use the same flash drive from when you purchased the basic key or a new flash drive?  Is the basic.key file in the config folder on the flash drive from which you are currently booting?

Ahh so your saying only have one .key file in the config? not both which would make sense, i believe it has both in it just because thats what i copied over

Just now, Hobin said:

i used a new one, same brand and everything

License is tied to the GUID of the flash drive.  Since you used a new flash drive, you will need to register the license with the GUID of the new flash drive.  Click on the flash drive link from the main page and then the registration key manager link.

3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I just wanted to confirm that the basic.key file existed on new flash drive.  If not, it was probably trying to use the expired trial key.  You need to register the GUID of the new flash drive.

I shall look where to do that :P, still a unraid noob if it wasn't clear :)

1 minute ago, Hobin said:

I shall look where to do that :P, still a unraid noob if it wasn't clear :)

7 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Since you used a new flash drive, you will need to register the license with the GUID of the new flash drive.  Click on the flash drive link from the main page and then the registration key manager link.