Hi all! Can I have your comments on the following please:

M/B - ASUS P5B-VM DO

CPU - Intel Celeron 440 (2GHz - 800fsb)

Ram - Kingston 1 GB ( 2 x 512 MB ) DDR II PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.8 V

Case - Lian Li PC-A16A

Coolermaster 4-in-3 HD mounts

H/D's - Various SATA II Drives

PSU - ??? Need some advice plz.

I'm not clear on the purpose of the single 12v rail in the PSU... some clarity and recommendations would be appreciated please.

I intend to use the on-board SATA controller with a view to adding a couple of extra cards when needed. Is the on-board controller up to the job?

Ive been needing to do this (NAS) for ages and almost hit the 'checkout' button on a TheCus 5200pro before coming to my senses!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

The controller is up to the job. I did find that when I began using the second controller I had to make a change in the BIOS to get the drives to show up. Off the top of my head I cannot recall what exactly the setting was but I can dig it up by looking at my setup if it becomes a stumbling point - others might recall.

CPU is fine although for the cost I went with a 3Gig, figure it cannot hurt. I would suggest that you look closely at the CoolerMaster Stackers for a case - they have proven to work well for MANY of us including Tom. One model even allows for two P/S should you ever need that. I have a Seasonic P/S in my latest system, it's rated 85+ for efficiency, has active power management, and active thermal as I recall. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817151033 It is currently supporting 8 drives with no issues.

Pretty sure it was you on the AVS forum that I mentioned the SATA cages to. The CM 4in3 cages are cheap and they cool great but after you've swapped drives a few times you will grow weary of them. Been there done that, my second NAS has cages and it's WAY easier. Consider this if you're going to be keeping the NAS around for a long time. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817121405

Hi, I went with the 440 2GHz Celeron due to it only being 35w compared to the 3.2GHz Celeron D which was 65w. This thing is likely to be on 24/7 and we have just had the first of the years utility bill increases in the UK!

The stacker was my first choice but I couldn't find one for sensible money! By the time I had added a decent PSU I would have been pushing £200!! ($400) with the Lian Li its around £125 ($250)

AVS forum? Sorry not me! I tend to look at the AVForums which are more UK biased.

I have just found these: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4KLL Do you think they will be ok?

Unfortunately Its getting harder to find suppliers in USA prepared to ship to the UK for acceptable rates : ( otherwise this would be a very different machine!

Thanks again!

Archived