GPU acceleration in Monterey VM

HomerJ
Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Hi all

I have done heaps of searching but haven't been able to find much of a solution. I am sorry if this has been discussed before...

Using the Macinabox, I have Monterey running as a VM. I have believe that I have successfully passed through my Nvidia 1070 video card. I say 'believe', because I have a monitor plugged into the GPU and I can see the OS, but I downloaded Nvidia software in the VM and it says that there is no GPU.

If someone can share a solution, it would be much appreciated. If no good solution is available, could someone point me in the right direction? The other issue with this is that using the VM with the GPU attached, is painfully slow; is it possible to do a fix while using VNC and then attaching the GPU once the fix has been applied?

Anyways, I'll be thankful for any help! Cheers!!

19 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Monterey has no drivers for 1070, so there's no way to get acceleration or any video output from that gpu; stick to high sierra (with installed nvidia drivers), change gpu with a compatible one, or do not use gpu passthrough.

Thank you for that info.

Do you know if I can get the igpu to work? I'm running the latest Intel i5 processor. 

If I can't use the igpu, then trying out High Sierra sounds like a good idea! 

I have marked the reply I received above as the solution to the issue I had, but I can't verify it. I have installed Highsierra as suggested, but I want to install Garageband and unfortunately it won't work unless I upgrade the OS to the next version, and if I did that I would have no way to use the GPU. Damn.... so close!

Anyways I appreciate the help!

7 hours ago, HomerJ said:

Do you know if I can get the igpu to work?

Yes, it should work, but it's more complicated to make it work, first because usually the igpu is the primary gpu used by the host and isolate it to make it available for the vm can be a mess (because of iommu groups, because of the motherboard bios, because of the os system...), second you should setup opencore for your igpu and this may include framebuffer patching.

You could follow dortania's guide and hackintosh forums; unfortunately I cannot help too much for igpu, never passed through to any vm.