Question regarding using VMs on unraid

je82

Ive been using unraid for a long time now, but i have never used it as a virtual machine host which is something im about to start doing soon.

I was looking at the default vm settings and shares that come with a trial version of unraid and i am confused to why the share "Isos" is set to Yes : Cache? Is there a benefit to this other than having the vm installation go slightly faster than if it would be set to hold isos on the array? Or is the iso somehow used for the virtual machine after installation so it would be a performance benefit to having it on the cache always?

5 minutes ago, je82 said:

i am confused to why the share "Isos" is set to Yes : Cache?

That setting means you want any new iso files to be written to cache, and later transferred to the array.  The rational being if you have just downloaded an iso for a new VM you may temporarily want maximum performance.

for files you want to keep on the cache the setting would be Prefer or Only.

the help built into the GUI describes how the various values for the setting work and how they interact with the mover application.

• Thanks 1