new to unraid first build......

parisv

This is the first time I've looked into building my own nas. In fact it will be the first time I've custom built a pc!

I'd like it to run plex media server also (started another thread here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13522.0)

So far here is my kit list:

case: http://www.xcase.co.uk/Chenbro-ES34169-Compact-size-chassis-w-4-Hotswap-p/Case-Chenbro-ES34169.htm

motherboard, cpu, gpu: http://www.ginger6.com/asus-zacate-e35m1m-matx-p-35994.html?G6SID=n29mg21uprlutfeufued5uk6t2

ram: http://www.ginger6.com/kingston-hyperx-2x2gb-memory-1333mhz-ddr3-nonecc-p-40981.html

hdd's probably start with a 2tb wd cavier green

haven't look at a usb yet.

Do those specs look compatible/ok?

I will be wanting to access files from osx and windows.

Some here have had good luck. I did not. In the end the board works for my purposes with the addition of an Intel Pro nic and with the latest EFI BIOS, but I can crash it on request by loading up SATA and Ethernet (built-in or Intel). It will suffice because this is only my backup unRAID server so heavy loads are unlikely.

If a friend were asking today I'd say the zacate platform is too young. Wait until the EFI everyone seems to use and n*x drivers/kernels have more time to get sorted out. i3 combos aren't much more expensive after adding a nic, can almost match the power draw, have much more computing headroom, and should be less troublesome.

Any larger plans for the server? I know it's your first, but have you thought beyond file services? Number of drives? I don't know Plex's impact but were it just serving files from < 10 drives then an Atom board could be more than adequate, would use less power and cost less money. I haven't shopped that direction but it seems one of the Intel boards with built-in Intel nic would be a good match.

I like the idea of a small case.

At the mo I want to put it in a cupboard but I may in the future use it as an HTPC I'm not sure.

I think 4 bays will be enough for me.

I'm looking at the intel boards with built in atoms on their site but I can't see the power consumption anywhere! Same for asus. I'll keep looking.

I would need one with 4 sata ports or a pci e slot to put in a controller I guess.

Now that I look it doesn't seem any of the Intel Atom boards use Intel nics. So much for that advantage. Check the motherboard section here. I've seen several people post successful L1 (and L2?) tests for different Atom boards. Supermicro has the nicest combinations but at $200+.

With all that, it feels late for the Atom world. They're good for low power and serving but you'll need divine intervention to encode anything. Zacate is young. i3 on a good board is still high, though your Plex requirement may point in that direction. Might be better to build one that works than learn the hard way. Or so I've heard.

Nice.

I have a server with the same build,. The chenbro and supermicro. I'm running win2008r2 instead of unraid, but it would work just as well.

It is rock solid combo.

A few things to point out about this combo..

RAM..

this board is picky on ram. check the newegg reviews to see what people are buying. also that's the DDR3 board, not the DDR2.

Drives..

besides the 4x 3.5" drives, you can also add a 2.5" drive or SSD to this build for more storage or a cache drive.

Power plug..

There is a molex power plug on the board, DONT plug that into your power supply!

Taking apart the case..

that front cover is F'in fragile. the tabs can easily break off if you don't open it perfectly (you should not need to take it off though).

you need to pull the entire back off and go in through the drive bays from behind to release the tabs.

eSATA.

the newer versions of that case have a db15 shaped breakout tab on them. you could use that to run and internal SATA to eSATA adapter to add eSATA on the 6th SATA port.

Internal USB..

if you plan to use the internal USB for the unraid boot. you need a SMALL usb. i am pretty sure the lexar firefly will fit. i know the Verbatim Clip-it will fit. i have one of those in mine. many larger ones will not.

i love the size of the case and this combo for a NAS type case.

oh, and be warned the fans are not dead silent.. but they are pretty quiet if it is not in your face. i dont notice it across the room.