Request for guidance on new build with Quick Sync and ECC

d3rax

Hello there,

I've been a unraid user for a few years now and im looking to upgrade my new setup. I have done some research but it has been a long time ago since I last build a pc, so I'm reaching out for some tips and guidance on my new build!

I now have an old HP Elite 8200 SFF with a intel I5-2500. This processor has Quick Sync but its a very old version and I have not been able to use the iGPU in Jellyfin or handbrake. I now primarly use the server for nas storage and running home assistant.

For my new build I want to expand my server use to the following:

-Nas Storage (expandable to 8 drives, 2x ssd cache, 1x parity and 5x storage)

-Home Assistant

-Next cloud

-Jellyfin media streaming and transcoding

-Ripping my old dvds and blurays and converting them with handbrake

-Running a Windows 10 VM from time to time for lite use (I use primarily a mac but want to be able to fall back on windows for some specific apps, im not planning to run a gameing vm, I might want to run a Windows 98 VM with a graphics card in the future for playing older PC games)

Next I have the following criteria:

-energy efficiency is important, so where possible i want to pick parts that are low on energy consumption

-Quick Sync iGPU

-ECC memory support (2x8 GB)

-Budget max 1200 euro (this includes 2 evm SSD for cache, I already have 1 SSD (500 GB) and 3 drives (4TB) for parity and data so no further drives needed at this moment)

-as future proof as possible 

I started out with selecting a CPU from the newest generation and selected the i5-12500. First of all im not sure if these are already supported by Unraid? Second I noticed I had only one motherboard option with ECC available for order, the Supermicro X13SAE. This board is quite expensive at 550,- euro. Also it needs DDR5 ram so with ECC this will be expensieve also I think (also not very sure what memory to select here). So I think this will go over my budget and might be abit overkill for my use? Or am I missing something and can I make this build more affordable? If so please let me know!

I then looked for the next intel cpu with Quick Sync and ECC support that was available for me and selected the Intel Core i3-9100. This is the 9th generation and should be sufficient I guess. Only downside it has only 4 cores, the same core count I have now so I dont know how future proof it will be.

Anyway for now I have selected the following components:

Board has 12 sata connections and supports ECC.

Im having a hard time to select the right ECC ram. The QCL memory for the motherboard is not available on sail for me. Not sure if the selected ram is the best option?

I really have no Idea what to select here. I want to go for a higher efficiency so energy consumption is less, I dont want to cheap out here. Wattage usages shoud be around 350 watt.

No real idea what to select, these were good reviewd and are compatible with the board I think? Goal is to have 1TB for cache with parity.

I hope I can get some feedback on the build above, especially on selecting memory, power supply and EVM ssd. If there is a option to get the 12gen Quick Sync CPU on a cheaper board with ECC I also would like some advice there.

Cheers!

Edited by d3rax

It should, I selected it from this list of intel processors with Quick Sync and ECC support: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search/featurefilter.html?productType=873&0_ECCMemory=True&1_Filter-Family=122139&0_QuickSyncVideo=True

Also specs of the processor says ecc memory support:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134870/intel-core-i39100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

Edited by d3rax
12 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

I am pretty sure that consument level Intel processor do not support ECC memory. For that, you would need a Xeon processor.

For many generation of Intel Core processors, the i3 supported ECC just like the Xeons.  The 9th generation i3 linked by the OP does support ECC RAM.

Beginning with the 10th generation i3, support for ECC RAM was dropped.

Edited by Hoopster

The 980 is good but keep it mind it does not have it's own DRAM cache and instead shares with the rest of the system. While this does make it run marginally cooler, it also makes it susceptible to lower performance when RAM utilization is higher. It probably won't be an issue but something to be aware of. An alternative might be the 970 evo plus which has it's own cache, slightly faster, and should be around the same cost. 

• Upvote 1