Question: do SSDs and NVMe now "spindown" with 6.11 ?

MAM59
Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I know, one of the new features of 6.10 and on was to show details of NVMe powerstates.

But, its not clear if this also means that these disks can now be put "on sleep" too ?

I watched the server for a few weeks, never saw anything else but "active" for the pool NVMes.

So I wonder if I expect to much or if something is missing/wrong/dunno ?

Can somebody pls enlight me?

• Solution
15 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

I know, one of the new features of 6.10 and on was to show details of NVMe powerstates.

But, its not clear if this also means that these disks can now be put "on sleep" too ?

I watched the server for a few weeks, never saw anything else but "active" for the pool NVMes.

So I wonder if I expect to much or if something is missing/wrong/dunno ?

Can somebody pls enlight me?

NVME dont have have spin down support yet. I have been playing with power states but they dont seem to change much as far as I can see at present. i.e. if i set a dev to ps4 i thought temp may reduce as using less pwr but it doesnt. may be the location on motherboard.

I would take a look at the power consumption too. If the readings of the powerstates are correct, I could save ~30W in total by "spinning" down.

Temp does not change much here too, the airflow and the attached coolers keep the nvmes quite low (~40°) here, even under stress conditions.