disk disabled during adding of 2nd parity disk

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

void-diagnostics-20221008-1651.zip

Unraid v6.11.1

Just added a 2nd parity drive and started the parity sync and now one of my disks has been disabled. I've never had a disk drop during a parity rebuild before, let alone when I'm adding a second drive. Can the rebuild finish with an emulated disk? I guess so as it's still chugging along.

Should I cancel the parity rebuild and try to use the new disk to replace the "failed" disk? Should I just let it finish?

Anecdotally I've been having a lot of disk issues with this server lately. I think this is the third disabled disk in six months. The disks always seem to pass SMART but I don't want to risk it so I always put new ones in then another one drops. Very strange.

Edited by weirdcrap
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Doesn't look like a disk problem, wait for the parity2 sync to finish then check/replace cables on that disk and if the emulated disk is mounting and contents look correct you can rebuild on top.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure its the connectors in this particular slot in one of my norco 5 bays. This same slot dropped another disk just a few weeks ago.