Creating new VM caused array errors

So I attempted to create a new VM today using an ISO from Pop OS. I curled the iso into the correct location, used the Ubuntu template, and clicked create. This process hung and took quite some time – I'm guessing some setting I used caused these problems. The page eventually crashed while creating the VM forcing me to refresh. I saw the CPU basically pinned at 100%, the flash drive showing as unavailable in the header, and errors piling up on my parity drive.

After a bit the whole server completely locked up, and I was forced to reboot. When things came back up (to my surprise) I was able to see that the array had started and the disks listed no new errors. However when I started my Plex docker, I realized the filesystem was still unavailable as no media would play. Upon further inspection, I noticed my parity drive listed as disabled, and fix common problems calling out that my cache drive was set to read only. I started a read check on all the disks as that was the only option available.. but any insight as to what actually happened under the hood? The last thing I did was create a new share for the VM to use, link the iso, and click create on the Ubuntu template screen.

Thanks in advance for any insight here – currently waiting for the read check to complete and hoping that I can restore things.

Update – so after looking through the logs it seems there was some kind of error with my cache disk (dev/sdc, BTRFS). The share I created for the VM was set to use the cache disk, was that incorrect of me to do? Realizing I should have started the VM bare bones to get it working.

tayshserve-diagnostics-20221012-1301.zip

Edited by tayshserve

Just posting updates here hoping someone smarter than I will chime in! Ok so the check finished and found zero errors. I stopped the array, removed the partiy drive, started teh array, then added the parity back and started. The parity is rebuilding, however now I'm concerned that my cache drive is the culprit. Obviously I'll let the parity sync/rebuild finish, but when it does any ideas for how to handle my cache drive?

On 10/13/2022 at 1:14 AM, JorgeB said:

Pool is showing issues with both devices, run a correcting scrub and post the output.

So I attempted to delete a file I thought was corrupted (Plex database) however when I spun things back up I was still getting errors. After realizing that data loss on the cache drive wasn't such a huge deal I just formatted it and moved on.

Any idea what got me into this mess? I was just trying to spin up a VM – now I'm scared to.

Edited by tayshserve