Best share option for Windows VM? - SMB, NFS, VirtIO-FS

I'm at my wits end trying to find the best setup for surfacing my shares to my Windows VM. I feel like I've tried everything and every solution falls short.

• SMB - This works just fine, but the performance is atrocious when working with large directories and many tiny files (which is common for my use case)
  • NFS v3 - This works great and the performance for large directories accessing many small files is orders of magnitude faster than SMB... but does not appear to have UTF-8 support so many of my filenames with Unicode characters can be mangled.
  • NFS v4 - Windows simply doesn't officially support this at all, and I cannot find any client that has decent performance. I tried the one here and it worked, but the performance for large directories was terrible, worse than SMB: http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/windows/
  • Virtio-FS - This is apparently bleeding edge and the performance is fantastic, but the memory backing configuration required keeps freezing my VM and no one seems to have a solution for that yet so I can't do much with this until the larger VM freeze issue people are having is resolved.

So basically... what do others use and what is the best way to get as much performance as possible for smaller files and large directories?