Replace cache pool

I am looking at replacing my cache pool.  Currently, I have 3 drive cache pool and going to replace all with a single drive.  My steps that I think will work are

• Create new cache pool
  • Stop docker and VM services
  • Copy everything from old cache to new cache
  • Stop array
  • Remove old cache
  • Rename new cache to old cache name
  • Start array

If I am thinking of this correctly, then this will not force me to change the paths for appdata for all my containers.  Just looking at confirmation before doing this.

So not sure if this a bug or not but I did the procedure without issue and everything was fine.  Decided to just to do 2 pools, and named them both differently.  Specifically not "cache".  After starting the array I went to the shares tab to update my shares.  All shares defaulted to the first pool and I changed a couple to use the new pool.  The problem lies that these shares that say they are using the first pool are not actually using that first pool which can be confirmed by the share cfg file which still had "cache" as the pool the share was using. 

So my thought is, that if the config file doesn't have a valid cache pool then in the GUI it shows the first available.  But this isn't correct.  I had to in the GUI, switch to a different pool then the first one to get the save button to not be greyed out.  And I assume I could have manually edited the cfg files to use the right pool.

This is obviously probably an edge case and not sure of a solution to propose since shares only show up after array is started.  But IMO, the config and GUI should match even though it might be incorrect.  Because the way it was I almost assumed those shares were going to use the new pool without issue but there was a lot of issues.

13 hours ago, jmztaylor said:

The problem lies that these shares that say they are using the first pool are not actually using that first pool which can be confirmed by the share cfg file which still had "cache" as the pool the share was using. 

Yes, it's a bug, if you click on "shares" you also see the old pool in the name, but if you click on a specific share you see the new pool in the drop down, it is a corner case but I will report it to see if it's fixed when possible.

• Like 1