smbd[6195]: Too many open files, unable to open more! smbd's max open files = 16424

HawkZ
Go to solution Solved by dlandon,

@JorgeB You are exactly right.  I was holding off on making any determinations pending further watching, but was just coming here to reply when I saw your response.  So far, have not had the runaway open files issue recur.  Have initiated several manual backup runs since the change was implemented to try to trigger it and still no instances of issue.  This is really looking like the culprit.  Thank you!!!  Will keep monitoring but expecting this to be resolved.

I do have Mac machines in the house, and we have one machine (which I probably need to reload) that has seemed to have some network share connection issues/delays since the change, but my wife (primary Mac user) has not reported issues on her system yet.  It appears from the description this setting may be necessary for being a Time Machine repository (not currently used) as well as more responsive Finder browsing.  I may have to dig into some of these vfs_fruit settings if leaving this whole setting is not an option.

• 8 months later...

Wanted to update here.  I've been too tied up with work to dig into this too much but over the past (many) months have tinkered with various fruit settings to no avail, not able to find the combination that would both keep fast browsing from Macs yet also not have my backup from my PC (Crashplan) have me routinely hit the open file limit on my Unraid box, requiring me to kill my smb session to regain access to the file shares.  It's been quite a painful run, but my attention was elsewhere.

Fast forward to this past week, when I upgraded from 6.11.5 to 6.12.4-rc19 on a whim before I dug back into this again.   To my amazement, post upgrade I have yet to be locked out for open files, even with Crashplan running regular backups.  I don't have notes showing the old fruit settings to compare to but I am guessing something changed there, and/or this was a samba bug that an upgraded version fixed?  I am not seeing anything else in the changelogs to really indicate anything that would affect this.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what was the culprit/fix?