/boot                    : successfully unmounted
/run                     : successfully unmounted
/sys                     : ignored
/proc                    : ignored
umount: /: not mounted.
Rebooting
_

and i have to reset the box .....

must be something holding the reboot , but still could not put my finger on it...
the /dev busy migth be a direction to check...

of course after reboot , i end up with a parity check :(

anybody hiting this ?

I tried the timer mods that were on the oldest thread.  No change.  On the shutdown, everything looks normal, but the last line, as mentioned above is "umount: /: not mounted." and the server just sits there and never powers off.

My server is running on hardware that's almost 13 years old...  So I'm going to not spend time on this power off issue.  I'm going to order up new equipment on the Black Friday sales next week and replace everything but my case.  

Thank you for the reply.  I may browse the rest of the thread and see if something else pops up that might solve the issue. 

My data contains items for work & family that I really don't want to loose, I'm OK with spending a few hundred to get current and refresh the hardware.  This is an awesome backup solution.    I've had 2 disc failures about 3 years apart.  Both times the recovery was as expected when I replaced the discs thanks to Lime's software!

24 minutes ago, barryfjohnson said:

My data contains items for work & family that I really don't want to loose, I'm OK with spending a few hundred to get current and refresh the hardware.  

i hope this is your backup and not your main storage.... If it is i hope you have a Good Backup ...... just in case

Edited by ZappyZap
  • Upvote 1

In the thread there was a reference to use the command  "/sbin/poweroff" to see what would happen shutting the OS down that way.  [note: I am NOT a Linux person, barely a MS-DOS guy, but I'm not afraid to try commands]
I booted the system, but I didn't Start the array from a browser like I normally do.

It was at the login prompt on the console  "Tower login:".    I logged into root and entered the command "/sbin/poweroff".

The OS hung on the way down at the same place as it does when I remote in and Start unRaid from a browser, then tell it to Shutdown:

/boot : successfully unmounted

/run : successfully unmounted

/sys : ignored

/proc : ignored

umount:  /:  not mounted.

It didn't power off.  Just hung right there at "umount:  /:  not mounted." as before.  Not sure what that tells me.  I feel pretty sure the hardware is OK.  Something has changed on one of my OS updates I guess.

I don't have any VMs, but I do have these 4 Plugins:

Community Applications, Dynamix System Information, Unassigned Devices and Unassigned Devices Plus

The other thing I couldn't help but notice is how there are big delays at some places on startup and shutdown when I watch the console.  That's new.  The OS used to boot and shutdown pretty fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m seeing exactly the same on a fresh 6.11.5 install - a very slow startup, and shutdown getting stuck at 

umount:  /:  not mounted.

Anything I do through the website also seems to be incredibly slow, at least 3 mins to apply any changed settings.

All the same hardware was running fine on 6.10.3, I’m repurposing the machine so wanted a fresh start and figured I’d move to the latest release.

I’ve had a brief look at logs, nothing stands out but I’m going to do some more digging later in the week.

• 2 weeks later...