6.10.3 upgrade to 6.11.2 or 6.11.3 fails

BM118

Not sure if this should be in bug, or general.

TL;DR - On 6.10 I can boot with UEFI, with 6.11.2 and 6.11.3 I cant, turning off UEFI allows it to at least boot, but haven't tested any further (running a Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master, 11500 CPU, 32GB RAM).

I have used 6.10.X for 6+ months with no issues, and done the updates through the UI and rebooting it. I tried around a week ago to do the same with 6.11.2 and the server never came back online. I copied everything from the previous folder on the flash drive back over the same files on the root and turned the box back on and it booted fine; unfortunately didn't have a monitor to see the reported issue.

Since then I have tried the 6.11.3 update, same issue, same fix. I finally had the time to put the monitor on and see what was happening so tried the update again, and I get an error about "unable to allocate initramfs, bailing out". I tried a brand new flash drive with the USB creation tool, 6.11.3 install, no config etc i.e. barebone fresh install, exactly the same issue (photo attached). I am 99.9% confident this is not a RAM issue.

I turned on CSM support, set the boot mode to legacy, it seems to boot fine, at least with the "fresh" install, but don't want to test with my actual drive until I can understand what the problem is.

If I rollback to 6.10.3 everything works fine, no weird errors, ~20 dockers and a few VMs start and run fine with near constant reads and writes to unRAID.

Where to from here?

unraid error.jpg

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Look for a BIOS update but if it doesn't help booting CSM should not create any issues. 

BIOS is up to date, running f8a.

I was under the impression that with CMS enabled, I lose access to the Internal GFX and therefore QuickSync pass through to the containers, or is this just a windows issue??

2 hours ago, LESUEUR CLAUDE said:

1- revert to 6.10.3
2- disable docker and virtual machine
3- remove all plugins
4- perform the update
5- reinstall the plugins one by one with reboot each time to check that they work well (one is stuck)
6- reactivate docker and VM

While I appreciate the input, I tried a completely fresh, clean install on a brand new flash drive, and get the exact same problem, but only when using 6.11.

Additionally this problem occurs well before any plugins etc are loaded, this is occurring on the second file load for the OS to start.

Using 6.10, everything works as expected.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Not aware of that.

It appears this is motherboard dependent, and Asus is a big issue in this area, whereas I am using Gigabyte.

Essentially, in the Intel 500 series chipsets and up, if you enable CSM, there is a good chance iGPU is not available. I thought this was an Intel limitation, but some research shows it’s a default thing and each vendor can change this. So I will give this a go tomorrow and see how I go.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, JorgeB said:

Look for a BIOS update but if it doesn't help booting CSM should not create any issues. 

So far it seems to be running well, and luckily my board does allow the iGPU to be enabled when CSM is enabled, so in theory it should be all good. I will report back if it has any issues.

• Like 1