New Build Chassis Help

CDLehner

So…I’ve got an old build (10+ years), in a Norco RPC-2212. Recently, it appears the bottom 4 drive-bays of the back-plane, crapped out on me (here’s my troubleshooting thread...

I was only using 8 of the 12 bays (even though I had 9 drives, plus an SSD)…but I was using the top and bottom 4, to allow some breathing room for cooling. So, even though…when I discovered the problem, I was able to get the array going with the top and middle 4; I resolved not to tempt fate, and move to a new build.

Here’s the problem: I’m not a “power user” at all. I don’t run VMs, or even transcode. My box is like a JBOD file server. Even though it’s old…I don’t have any noticeable performance shortcomings.

A new build, is always enticing; but a) I’m having the hardest time finding a case, and b) the thought of spending $1k is not exactly “fun”.

My array is only 24T…so I did think of going with a smaller-footprint case, with more like 5/6 drives. I looked, and while there’s no shortage of chassis out there; a) they all, naturally, required all new parts (as they wouldn’t fit my ATX 12x10 board), and b) almost every case had lukewarm reviews, pretty much universally mentioning the cooling issues of drives bays packed into smaller solutions.

As a possible way, around a new build…I was considering a TerraMaster F5-221 (because I saw a YT video, of an uR build on one…and I liked the form factor, and out-of-the-box, plug & play nature of the pre-build); but after some research, it appears the chip is a joke. The equivalent of an old, low-cost…laptop model (dual-core? Hell, I think even my decade+ old chip has 6). I thought about stepping up, to the 422; but I think that’s just a quad…and an extra $200 (the 221 is ~$300 right now), to go from a “$30” chip…to a “$50” chip, just didn’t seem prudent.

You can see me, wringing my hands. I then just started thinking, about a case…that would take ALL my old parts (save for maybe the “server” PSU), and just transfer my existing drives. Like the SilverStone CS380; but again…lots of complaints, about cooling and warnings about mods. Alternatively, I see cases…towers, that hold ~8 drives internally (hot-swap is nice, but not a deal-breaker). But while I see BUILD pictures, where there are plenty of drive slots; the pics of them for sale, don’t look that way (so my amateur guess…is added drive cages?).

While looking for a demonstrative pic…I came across the Fractal R5 for the 1st time. Might fit the bill perfectly; but if anyone has taken the time to read this, and feel the pain and take pity on the noob…any advice, even if it’s “yeah…the R5 would be perfect”…would be welcome.

3 hours ago, CDLehner said:

As a possible way, around a new build…I was considering a TerraMaster F5-221 (because I saw a YT video, of an uR build on one…and I liked the form factor, and out-of-the-box, plug & play nature of the pre-build); but after some research, it appears the chip is a joke. The equivalent of an old, low-cost…laptop model (dual-core? Hell, I think even my decade+ old chip has 6). I thought about stepping up, to the 422; but I think that’s just a quad…and an extra $200 (the 221 is ~$300 right now), to go from a “$30” chip…to a “$50” chip, just didn’t seem prudent.

Sure not a good choose, TerraMaster mobo was proprietary, you can't found replacement for maintenance and its CPU quite weak.

3 hours ago, CDLehner said:

But while I see BUILD pictures, where there are plenty of drive slots; the pics of them for sale, don’t look that way (so my amateur guess…is added drive cages?).

Yes, purchase separate.

Your old rig. really out of day, so you need a new system. To make things simple, first should decide mobo form factor, if ITX then you can use all different case, with MATX / ATX / EATX then it further limit the case for choose.

The drawback of SFF mobo was limited expansion, but you need decide this.

If I were you, I will do the upgrade step by step wil phase A, B, C etc. For example, use back RPC-2212 without disk backplane, after confirm all work well, then change the case if you really need.

Edited by Vr2Io