Suggestions for my first NAS

francesco7

Hi guys, this is my first time writing in this forum and trying to set-up my first NAS, i want to use it as an accessible storage from wherever I am and for (and from) whatever device i want, i would use it rarely for streaming content, i will probably use Plex or i don't know if there is something better for my needs.

I'm going to use an old PC, i5 4690, 8gb of ram and a crappy power supply that I will replace as soon as I can, I'm not sure which raid to use and what combination of hard-disks or ssds, i was thinking of 2 2tb hdds in raid 1 or 3 500gb hdd in raid 5 in order to get more speed, i was even thinking about 2 1tb ssds in raid 1 or using an SSD as cache, what do you think is more suitable for my needs?

I was even planning on using wake-on-lan but I don't know neither how to do it nor if it is possible.

Please give me any suggestion you think is helpful, i really don't know a lot about Unraid or Nas, I'm pretty new to these things.

Thank you all.

Edited by francesco7