Searching for low idle-power GPU (for browsing / HD-Movies)

adrifromhh

Hello community,

can you recommend me a low-range GPU with the following specs?

• Passthrough to Ubuntu VM for browsing Youtube / watching 1080p Movies
  • Low idle power!

I try to keep my system idle-power as low as possible, so it would be nice if the GPU doesn't add much to that most of the time when the VM is shut down.

Help is very much appreciated! :)

Edited by adrifromhh
On 12/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, ralop said:

Why isn't the integrated gpu on your cpu enough for that use? assuming you still have the i3-7350k cpu

Okay so I've bitten my teeth out, reading through tons of threads, trying to get my configuration to passthrough the IGPU with no luck. It seems to be a gamble if this works. I would still appreciate a recommendation for a suitable low-power GPU. Thanks!

im also in the same boat. 
but i wanted to keep my IPGU for plex due to intel quicksync.

i have an Nvidia gtx 1050TI
in idle with the VM that utalises this gpu it gives me a tax of 15 KWH on top of my normal system. i might look arround for another device with lower a lower idle tax 

im thinking of down/upgrading to a GTX 1630 to maybe lower this idle power consumption 

Edited by okkies
added gtx 1630

If all you are using a non-integrated GPU is to display browser or movie player video, and perhaps transcode video, assigned to a VM, a Nvidia Quadro T400 (not the old Quadro 400) or its predecessor Quadro P400 are good choices.  At full power, they only draw 35W, and don't even require a power cable as they get all they need from the PCIe slot.

22 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

If all you are using a non-integrated GPU is to display browser or movie player video, and perhaps transcode video, assigned to a VM, a Nvidia Quadro T400 (not the old Quadro 400) or its predecessor Quadro P400 are good choices.  At full power, they only draw 35W, and don't even require a power cable as they get all they need from the PCIe slot.

I second the P400 - mine works great.

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2022 at 10:32 PM, ConnerVT said:

I now got myself a PNY NVIDIA P-400. It runs with a Linux VM out of the box, but it only offers me strange uncommon resolutions, even though newest NVIDIA drivers were installed already. Do you have a VBIOS ROM for that card? I couldn't find one.