Trying to change which network card Unraid uses.

Camkazi
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I am having a problem, I currently have 4 NICs, 3 are built into the motherboard (Tyan S5510) and one is an add in 2.5G ethernet card. The problem I am having is that unraid insists on using the 2.5G card as the main card and I cannot change it. That is a problem because that card is directly connected to my desktop for faster file transfer since I do not have a 2.5 or 5G switch right now. Everything I read says I should be able to change which NIC is eth0 by going into the Network tab and changing it at the bottom. That does work for changing which NIC is eth1, eth2 and eth3 but will not let me change eth0. I need it changed because right now remote access through myservers won't work since it is linked to the 2.5G ethernet IP which is not connected to anything but my desktop and not the rest of the network.

49 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

OK, I see that eth0 is missing, first assumed it was there but you couldn't click on it, rename /boot/config/network-rules.cfg to .bak and reboot, if it doesn't help also rename /boot/config/network.cfg (lan settings will go back to defaults) and reboot again.

Will do as soon as I can, am currently doing a data rebuild after replacing an HDD so got a ways to go.

21 hours ago, JorgeB said:

OK, I see that eth0 is missing, first assumed it was there but you couldn't click on it, rename /boot/config/network-rules.cfg to .bak and reboot, if it doesn't help also rename /boot/config/network.cfg (lan settings will go back to defaults) and reboot again.

It creates a bonded connection between all 4 but eth0 is still not changeable at all.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Try removing the Realtek NIC (if it's more practical you can also bind it to VFIO-PCI), then boot/reboot, one of the Intel NICs should become eth0, then install it again.

Ok, give me a minute!

Edit: That worked, now the 2.5G card shows up as eth121 (no idea why such high number) and my internet connected port is eth0. Odd thing is that the add in card still does not show up as changeable in Network Rules but as long as it is not eth0 I am happy. Thank you very much for your help, this was driving me insane.

Edited by Camkazi