GPhotos-Sync

Ladrek
Go to solution Solved by Stringer,

I'm trying to setup GPhotos-Sync 

I run the command docker exec -it GooglePhotosSync gphotos-sync /storage and get prompted for "Please visit this URL to authorize this application" I click allow on google it then sends me to a new page "This site can’t be reached" I've gone on the machine locally as well and get same message.

image.thumb.png.e3afd9e57e69a447e74ae9b23c73ec3f.png

Edited by Ladrek
5 hours ago, CWMLT said:

I'm running into this problem as well. I can't get past it - tried URL manipulation away from localhost (put in the actual local IP address, 192.168.xx.yy), tried changing the port since the original was conflicting with my nzb downloader. No dice still.

Glad to know i'm not the only one lol

• Solution

Yes! I made it work! Instructions:

1. Stop all docker containers (to avoid possible interference on port 8080, see later steps)
  2. Install Firefox as docker and set it to network type "host"
  3. Also set GPhotosSync to network type "host"
  4. Assign port 8080 to GPhotos Sync
  5. Start both containers
  6. Go into unraid terminal and start the sync via: docker exec -it GooglePhotosSync gphotos-sync /storage
  7. Copy the URL and paste it into your firefox docker window (click on black dot, paste into text field, then right click within firefox address bar & paste)
  8. Sign in to you google account, follow the process and allow the access for the app.
  9. It should say "the authentication flow has completed" within firefox and in the terminal window the sync process should start.
  10. Wait for the first backup run to finish. (Just to be safe, probably not neccessary.)
  11. Afterwards it is probably a good idea to remove the port 8080 from the config again, because it could interfere with other apps as it's a popular port.
  12. Happy syncing! (I use the plugin User Scripts to schedule a daily backup of google photos. Just use the same terminal command as above.)
Edited by Stringer
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Stringer said:

1. Stop all docker containers
  5. Start both containers
  6. Go into unraid terminal and start the sync via: docker exec -it GooglePhotosSync gphotos-sync /storage
  7. Copy the URL and paste it into your firefox docker window (click on black dot, paste into text field, then right click within firefox address bar & paste)
  8. Sign in to you google account, follow the process and allow the access for the app.
  9. It should say "the authentication flow has completed" within firefox and in the terminal window the sync process should start.
  10. Wait for the first backup run to finish. (Just to be safe, probably not neccessary.)
  11. Afterwards it is probably a good idea to remove the port 8080 from the config again, because it could interfere with other apps as it's a popular port.
  12. Happy syncing! (I use the plugin User Scripts to schedule a daily backup of google photos. Just use the same terminal command as above.)

THANK YOU!! lol

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was hoping to ask about disabling Google Photo Albums backup? I've found that the albums backup creates a soft link to the photo files on my nvme cache drive and mover doesn't move these links to the array device. I've tried to include the "--skip-albums" argument in both the Extra Parameters and Post Arguments in the advanced container setup but it appears as though that command is depreciated. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2022 at 10:04 AM, Stringer said:

1. Stop all docker containers (to avoid possible interference on port 8080, see later steps)
  5. Start both containers

YOU ARE AMAZING THANK YOU SO MUCH IT WORKED

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having issues moving my client_secret.json to the config folder. It says I dont have permission to move the file to appdata/GooglePhotosSync every other docker app folder has rw permissions but gphotossync only seems to be read.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2023 at 11:09 PM, Noppy said:

Having issues moving my client_secret.json to the config folder. It says I dont have permission to move the file to appdata/GooglePhotosSync every other docker app folder has rw permissions but gphotossync only seems to be read.

Am having exactly the same issue. From Binhex Krusader I'm looking at the permissions for the /config folder you are referring to, and it does not seem to allow any writing. What's more concerning is that there isn't any data at all, which leads me to believe the docker app is installed somewhere else??? 

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2022 at 7:04 AM, Stringer said:

5. Start both containers

This worked perfect of me as well! Thank you.

• 3 months later...

I just got this to work (Dec 2023).  I was experiencing the same issue that the OP posted about. Sadly the instructions in the post above did not work for me. The hard part for me was getting the token file. This only generates after you login. 

I was able to get the token by running the application locally on my desktop, and moving the token manually to the docker container storage folder on my unraid instance. 

After that I was able to run the sync command and kick off the backup!

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Instructions from the person who built the photo sync application: https://gilesknap.github.io/gphotos-sync/main/tutorials/installation.html#execute-in-a-container

The Github issue that helped me find my solution: https://github.com/gilesknap/gphotos-sync/issues/357#issuecomment-1159623596

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, berger0 said:

I just got this to work (Dec 2023).  I was experiencing the same issue that the OP posted about. Sadly the instructions in the post above did not work for me. The hard part for me was getting the token file. This only generates after you login. 

I was able to get the token by running the application locally on my desktop, and moving the token manually to the docker container storage folder on my unraid instance. 

After that I was able to run the sync command and kick off the backup!

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Instructions from the person who built the photo sync application: https://gilesknap.github.io/gphotos-sync/main/tutorials/installation.html#execute-in-a-container

The Github issue that helped me find my solution: https://github.com/gilesknap/gphotos-sync/issues/357#issuecomment-1159623596

Thanks @berger0, this was really helpful. I ended up running a local version on WSL to be able to go through the authentication process and then move the token over to the server.

I've now syncd my photos, but the documentation suggests that there should be an albums folder as well? I haven't passed any additional arguments than the default sync command, so would have expected these to be done at the same time. I thought it might be a symlink issue but presumably that's not an issue when running it on a Linux machine and I can't see any options in the help output to force an sync of albums, only skip. Am I missing something obvious?