Ryzen 5000 in first gen AM4 motherboard.

Hi all,

I was perusing the web, considering an upgrade to the CPU on my first generation B350 ryzen motherboard, when I came across a post stating that the new 5000 chips would work with an official bios upgrade.

I was wondering if anyone had done this and how stable their build now is?

M0zz

This is on my roadmap as well.  Plans are to replace my 1500X with a 5700X in the next few months.

First thing is to check the board's manufacturer's website.  The Gigabyte board in my server says that it supports the 5700X.  The ASRock board in my daily driver doesn't explicitly list either Renoir or Cezanne (Ryzen 4xxx or 5xxx) CPUs, but the latest BIOS says that it added support for these CPUs.  So I am more confident to do this in the server, less so for my desktop.

As you noted, you will definitely need to update your BIOS (to AGESA 1.2.0.7) before installing the 5xxx CPU.  You are hopefully replacing an earlier Ryzen, as the new BIOS likely doesn't support the Athlon/Ax CPUs.

Everything *should* work as before.  The MB won't support PCIe 4.0 even though the new CPU may be capable (depending on what model you buy).  But depending on what you are replacing, the CPU should be faster, more power efficient, and you likely will be able to use better stock/base memory timings.

edit: Here is a Techspot article: Does the Ryzen 7 5800X3D Work on AMD B350 and X370 Motherboards?

Edited by ConnerVT
added link

I have an old mATX PC with an A10 chip in it and have been considering using this as a second Unraid machine for my reading library and leave the main machine as the media server. I think upgrading the CPU, and handing down the 1600 makes it more of a possibility.

Also having the second server means I can play more with Unraid without annoying the wife with reboots and such.

Even better is that I am seeing that even some A320 motherboards (which my mATX is) are also getting the upgrade. I will have to check when I home.