SSD Trim on Array devices

alex3305
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

I have been running unRAID for over a year now and I'm really satisfied with the product. I wanted to run unRAID as an application server with some Docker containers and a VM on my NAS and that seems to be working really well. To make the system silent, I have installed a 1TB NVME SSD in it from the beginning. And even with all the warnings about SSD's that seem to be working great.

Recently however, I've added a second array device, another SSD. I don't really care about the data and parity, so I don't worry about that. I do worry about performance, and I read conflicting things about TRIM in the array. I'm wondering if this is supported now? I've been running my array in XFS mode as per default.

Or should I perhaps run my installation differently? Because I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, alex3305 said:

Or is there a way to force TRIM on an array?

There isn't.

9 minutes ago, alex3305 said:

But how would I run an optimal SSD only unRAID install than?

In the future you might not need at least one array data device, but for now there must be one, you can use an old flash drive to fulfill that requirement then assign the SSD devices as pool(s).

40 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

In the future you might not need at least one array data device, but for now there must be one, you can use an old flash drive to fulfill that requirement then assign the SSD devices as pool(s).

39 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

Unraid requires at least one drive on the array.  It can just be a small Flash drive if you wish.

I only have space for 1 NVMe and 1 2.5" SATA disk in that system, so adding a small 'dummy' flash drive is impossible unfortunately.

I read that adding an USB drive to the array would be possible. I will look into that. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Unless you are using them all you could plug a USB flash drive into one of the external USB sockets?  Not ideal but would work.

Would a flash drive work as an array device? Or only USB hard drives?

I still have a couple of old 60GB Samsung SLC SSDs which I could potentially use. Or an old 120GB M.2 SATA SSD.

Edited by alex3305
23 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, that's what I've said:

That got lost in translation, I thought you meant a flash storage device such as an SSD. Anyway thanks.

21 hours ago, itimpi said:

A f;ash drive (pendrive) works fine.   It just needs to be a storage device.

I've just added an 32GB pen drive and converted my array devices to pool devices and all seems to be working great.

Thank you all for helping.

• Like 1