Got new, bigger parity drive; want old parity to become part of the array

This would seem pretty straightforward to me.  I bought a new Hitachi 1.5 TB.  It will become my parity & mold old Samsung 1TB that I was using as the parity should become a part of the array.  I looked in the FAQ & searched the forum, but I guess what everybody else is doing is replacing the parity drive & not using the former, old drive.

I precleared the new Hitachi 1.5TB drive, then shut down the array & made it the parity.  Waited several hours & the parity rebuilt.  The old Samsung 1TB drive was not assigned during this time.  After that was completed I attempted to assign the 1TB samsung to (before unused) slot 5).  big fat no go.  What am I doing wrong?

invalidformat1.jpg

This would seem pretty straightforward to me.  I bought a new Hitachi 1.5 TB.  It will become my parity & mold old Samsung 1TB that I was using as the parity should become a part of the array.  I looked in the FAQ & searched the forum, but I guess what everybody else is doing is replacing the parity drive & not using the former, old drive.

I precleared the new Hitachi 1.5TB drive, then shut down the array & made it the parity.  Waited several hours & the parity rebuilt.  The old Samsung 1TB drive was not assigned during this time.  After that was completed I attempted to assign the 1TB samsung to (before unused) slot 5).  big fat no go.  What am I doing wrong?

invalidformat1.jpg

According to the screen shot, unRAID thinks the SAMSUNG drive is your parity drive.

Post a syslog.  Only way to know what is happening.  It would have taken more than a few hours to calculate parity.  I'd expect about 6 to 8 hours or so.  If it only took a few hours, it does not sound right.

Joe L.

Here you go, & the first parity check took something like 478 minutes

here is the issue

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla emhttp: put_disk_settings: fopen: Read-only file system

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla kernel: FAT: Filesystem error (dev sde1)

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla kernel:    fat_free_clusters: deleting FAT entry beyond EOF

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla kernel:    File system has been set read-only

Jul 16 22:09:48 valhalla kernel: write_file: error 30 opening /boot/config/super.dat

Jul 16 22:09:48 valhalla kernel: md: could not write superblock from /boot/config/super.dat

You need to fix the flash drive corruption.  (Move it to a windows box, run scandisk, or checkdisk on it)

As far as it is concerned, you've not changed the parity drive.

Your flash drive probably has some corruption, and is not writable.

Here you go, & the first parity check took something like 478 minutes

here is the issue

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla emhttp: put_disk_settings: fopen: Read-only file system

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla kernel: FAT: Filesystem error (dev sde1)

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla kernel:     fat_free_clusters: deleting FAT entry beyond EOF

Jul 15 18:29:29 valhalla kernel:     File system has been set read-only

Jul 16 22:09:48 valhalla kernel: write_file: error 30 opening /boot/config/super.dat

Jul 16 22:09:48 valhalla kernel: md: could not write superblock from /boot/config/super.dat

You need to fix the flash drive corruption.  (Move it to a windows box, run scandisk, or checkdisk on it)

As far as it is concerned, you've not changed the parity drive.

Your flash drive probably has some corruption, and is not writable.

Thanks Joe.  That chkdsk did it.  This is the second time in 3 days that I have had a problem with this USB thumb drive.  I think I will check the recommend list & then see about swapping it out.

• 1 month later...

Archived