Previously Working Windows VM Shutsdown straight after reboot - spice-server bug: guest stopped, shutting down, reason=crashed

boardy

As title suggests, I have a Windows VM which is mostly responsible for running backups on my network which it emails to say its completed. I realised I hadn't see any of these emails in a while and found the VM was shutdown. 

Turned it back on and connected to VNC and I then see the Windows boot up screen, then VNC says unable to connect and the VM is showing as shutdown again. 

At the bottom of the VM log I can see the following:

qxl_send_events: spice-server bug: guest stopped, ignoring
2023-01-15 16:36:21.851+0000: shutting down, reason=crashed

I've tried a different browser as I've seen that could be the cause but no luck. 

Anyone else seen this or might know how to recover the VM. 

22 hours ago, Jumbo_Erdnuesse said:

Did you install the guest agent using the "virtio-win-guest-tools.exe" in the main folder of your virtio drivers disk?

For some unknown reason using this file will bork any windows 10 vm i tested so far and they will not boot anymore and i get the same error message as you posted above.

I don't believe so, I built this VM quite some time as ago, so can't 100% remember, but I'm fairly sure all I did was provide the virtio driver ISO within the VM settings, I don't recall doing anything with virtio drivers directly from within Windows. 

The VM has been working for quite some time, several months until I noticed it recently stopped - not sure if UnRAID Upgrade may have broke it in some way. 

• 1 month later...

Any update or solution on this?  I was spinning up a Linux VM today, and suddenly got the "qxl_send_events: spice-server bug: guest stopped, ignoring" error.   I thought it was some problem with the Linux VM, but now I can't connect to any of my existing VMs via noVNC! :/

I'm using Chrome for my connection, I think, but there's no visible address bar, so I can't copy the path to try another browser.  I also have no menus of any sort in the noVNC window, so I can't clear cookies or whatever as I've seen suggested elsewhere.

Edited by Elmojo
added details
  • 9 months later...