Disk 100% Full (using high water settings with 10GB min free space)

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I've seen this posted a number of times in the support threads and checked a number of them and I don't seem to have the config issues those users had.

* Duplicate Named Shares of differing case (nope)

* Restrictive Split Level (nope)

I've used UnRaid Balance to move stuff off Disk 6 but within a day it's full again.

Diagnostic attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it because I created a share called "media"???? Does that clash with something?

513175755_Screenshotfrom2023-01-2017-01-25.thumb.png.6ea840247cddf90d5ecaa62902da6a98.png

tower-diagnostics-20230120-1656.zip

I think I've spotted the issue. I have a 1TB torrent downloading (happens to be currently on Disk 6) and since all the files in the torrent are in the one directory it UnRAID is keeping them all on Disk 6. It's at 50% but obviously as new parts come down it still tries to write to Disk 6 even though it's full.

All my shares are set to "Automatically split any directory as required" which says

When a new file or subdirectory needs to be created in a share, Unraid OS first chooses which disk it should be created on, according to the configured Allocation method. If the parent directory containing the new file or subdirectory does not exist on this disk, then Unraid OS will first create all necessary parent directories, and then create the new file or subdirectory.

What's the situation here for UNRaid when a disk is full but you try to write a file to the same directory?

I found this link but can't find the specific situation I have here (or maybe I'm not RTFM right) - https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Shares#Split_level

Currently moving a bunch of other stuff off Disk 6 with UnRaid Balance so hopefully that will resolve it.

Edit: Maybe this isn't the issue. As I was looking at another directory and it has files within it on different disks.

Edited by phoenixdiigital
New finding
  • Solution

If a torrent file is initially created without all the space allocated so that it takes additional space as more parts are downloaded this could be a problem as Unraid will not move the file to another drive in such a situation.   It might be worth telling the torrent downloaded to allocate all the space needed for the file at the start to see if that helps alleviate the issue.

36 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If a torrent file is initially created without all the space allocated so that it takes additional space as more parts are downloaded this could be a problem as Unraid will not move the file to another drive in such a situation.   It might be worth telling the torrent downloaded to allocate all the space needed for the file at the start to see if that helps alleviate the issue.

Yeah I think it has been completely allocated as I ran a properties on that directory in Krusader and it reported the full 1TB size.

However I just checked the Deluge config and "PreAllocate isn't checked" so you could be onto something.

image.png.538d27a947ae4880a1e665c541db1b00.png

Currently moving a crapload to other disks with UnRaid Balance to make enough space for this. Interesting problem though so not sure why UnRaid isn't just putting these files on another disk.

Edit: Yeah this is likely the problem. The torrent had been stalled for days when I knew there should be more seeders. As space has been cleared up it's started flowing again. Surprised there were no other warnings or errors.

I think you nailed it. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by phoenixdiigital
more info