Moving system files from disk1 to disk2

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

So yeah I want to move the system files (system, appdata, domains, isos) to disk2 which I just added to the array. Which is why all of those folders are on the wrong disk. Disk2 is an SSD so I'm thinking it would give me better speeds for docker containers and vms and all that stuff.

I can't seem to understand how to move them because lot's of posts about the same issue mention cache pools but I don't have one.

So what I did is set the Included disks to disk2 and then I copied the folders from disk1 to disk2 using 'Dynamix File Manager' (Didn't yet delete the files on the original drive because I don't want anything to break). Can I safely delete the folders from disk1 or not? I'm really not sure.

image.thumb.png.2cdc704e1f7213aa181a1e040747a1b8.png

Also I don't know why the appdata between the drives changed. It was the same before I rebooted the system. I have autostart enabled on some things so maybe it's that.

50 minutes ago, ThatIcyPolarBear said:

delete the folders from disk1

Probably not since they are likely open unless you have disabled Docker and VM Manager in Settings. In any case, these shares should be in pool so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by parity, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

On 1/25/2023 at 4:40 PM, trurl said:

Solution is to put SSDs in pool and not in array.

If you want more specific advice attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread

So I removed the ssd from the array, added it to the cache pool and rebuild parity. I now find that it displays 'some or all files are unprotected' next to some shares. So I'm probably going to set the 'use cash pool' to yes instead of prefer. Only with the appdata share I will enable the 'prefer' mode and use the plugin 'Appdata Backup/Restore v3' because then I can backup it (I don't have 2 ssds for redundancy). If the appdata share has 'prefer' enabled will mover automatically move it to the cache drive?

Also here are the diagnostics:carr-diagnostics-20230126-1705.zip

• Solution

appdata, domains, system shares should ideally be all on fast pool and set to stay there so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open. Leave these cache:prefer.

Nothing can move open files. You have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings then run mover to get these moved. Also, mover won't replace files so there may be some manual cleanup to get these all off the array.

No need to backup docker.img since it is easily recreated. You can backup appdata and libvirt.img using that same plugin. You will also need a way to backup VM vdisks. There is a plugin for that too.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, trurl said:

Nothing can move open files. You have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings then run mover to get these moved. Also, mover won't replace files so there may be some manual cleanup to get these all off the array.

Thanks for the help, I was able to install the backup plugins an disable docker and VM Manager to run mover. I ran mover via 'settings > Scheduler > Mover settings > Move now' and It copied the folders, I think, because they're both on the cache drive and on the array so I think that's what you mean by the manual cleanup. It does look like all the files where copied so would it be safe to just delete those from the array at /mnt/disk1/ using 'Dynamix File Manager'?

Maybe some additional uselful info:

image.png.5c7783744b02aa0375defc0b72ddeafd.pngimage.png.6d7f1f532339b8c0ffd9b9310a943d64.png

image.png.38c57b5565c440c8a2e44101bc727397.pngimage.png.c85206591fc5de36f0ed357873ad886d.png